Logan Circle between Vermont and Rhode Island, NW Photo by David Keifrider
My name is Olivia and I live near the house that caught fire in Logan Circle on Thursday morning. I have three roommates and we moved into the house last November, so we’ve gotten to know the Gunter family pretty well. We set up a GoFundMe to raise money for them in this awful tragedy. We’re so heartbroken for the family in what they’re going through. They lost their longtime home and have two family members recovering from serious injuries and burns in the hospital.”
Please see the GoFundMe Page here.
Update: Identified!! Thanks all.
I was one of the first people on the scene of the Logan Circle fire last week and along with two other passersby helped evacuate and care for the victims before DC Fire & EMS arrived. Two us stayed long enough to give our contact info to the fire department, but a third had to leave sooner. His name was Hunter, and I believe he lived a few blocks away (around Vermont Ave), but we didn’t think to get much more info than that. FEMS is hoping to get in contact with him as well to say thanks.”
6:55am Logan Circle between Vermont and Rhode Island, NW
Thanks to all who’ve messaged.
“Two civilians transported from scene – unknown condition. Bulk of the fire knocked down. All units remaining on the scene.”
“huge fire happening right now on logan circle – this picture taken at 6:55am.” (more…)
A reader sent in Saturday afternoon.
Got a lot of queries about this one. You can see video sent to me of the smoke above and DCFD’s response below:
We were investigating an unusual odor. Found nothing harmful. The helicopter was not related to our response.
— DC Fire and EMS (@dcfireems) February 15, 2018
The Mayor’s office also responded to queries:
“DC water is working on the pipes on 7th/Ingraham and 7th/Hamilton St NW. Fire/Ems cleared the area and deemed it safe. The project should be completed by mid- morning.”
Tom notes: “It burned until after midnight. Non toxic burning plastic sounds reasonable.”
Photo by Megan Gamble
“Jeep on fire at M and 18th NW. Firefighters have it under control!” (more…)
Trisha reported Saturday afternoon:
“Good thing the fire truck was already on the street when this happened!
Yuma St NW, across from the UDC athletic building. The car was actually trying to pass the fire truck when it started to smoke. The truck wisely pulled forward.”
A reader reports:
“We park our car in the alley on the south side of the 1300 block of Fairmont. When we left to run some errands around 9:00 am Saturday morning, there was a bunch of men’s clothes dumped in a pile at the end of the alley. When we returned around noon, the pile of clothes was on fire.
I called 9-1-1 but Engine 4 was already on it way. I back out and went to take some pictures. It was a little higher when I first saw it, but the attached picture show the gist. Engine 4 had a little trouble getting into the alley but the firefighters dragged the hose and put out the fire without incident.
In chatting with the three firefighters, we all had the same theory for why a pile of men’s clothes would be dumped in an alley and set alight. I’m just glad the (I assume) scorned woman waited until my car wasn’t in it customary spot, which is just three yards away. My neighbor says she saw a woman from the Alden (which we already call 90210) lurking earlier but there’s no way to be sure.”
9th and F Street, NW
Thanks to Marissa for sending around 11:30am. Updates when more is known.
Update from a reader:
“it was a car fire in the parking garage. Building is open again and everyone is ok.”
Photo by Ron
“Working Fire now requested unit block Rhode Island Ave NW. Fire top floor apartment in 3 story row structure. No injuries reported.
Update Working Fire Rhode Island Ave NW. The victim #DCsBravest rescued will be transported in critical condition. Fire has been knocked down. Checking for extension.”
Photo by Mike
1400 block of Rhode Island Ave, NW around 5pm Tuesday. Photo by Joe Flood.
“Cause of today’s fire in the 1400 block of R.I. Ave NW was improperly discarded smoking materials. Fortunately we confined the flames to the balcony. #DCsBravest urge you to use caution with any smoking materials, and NEVER smoke in bed.”
Cause of today’s fire in the 1400 block of R.I. Ave NW was improperly discarded smoking materials. Fortunately we confined the flames to the balcony. #DCsBravest urge you to use caution with any smoking materials, and NEVER smoke in bed. pic.twitter.com/0ZROrpEHC7
— DC Fire and EMS (@dcfireems) January 10, 2018