1800 block of Belmont Street, NW off Columbia Road
Thanks to Mary for sending:
“Got home today and lines are painted to make parking lanes on either side of the road, making the road seem even more narrow. One way signs went up today.”
1780 Columbia Road, NW
“The LINE DC delivers a rich, multilayered, local experience like no other in Washington, DC. Take your pick of international or American fare available through distinct restaurant experiences from two James Beard-recognized chefs. Grab a locally-distilled beverage from A Rake’s Bar, discover the finest Taiwanese teas in East Parlour Tea, or have a drink over a live broadcast of Full Service Radio in the lobby. (more…)
2218 18th Street, NW
The three wonderful women who purchased Awash and transformed it into Asmara about a year ago have poured a heck of a lot of TLC into the joint and it’s quietly an absolute gem of a restaurant/lounge.
They are open 7 days a week from 11am to 2am (3am on Fri/Sat) and serve fantastic Ethiopian/Eritrean & American cuisine all day & all night (–superb late night alternative to jumbo slice). Breakfast is also available all day & all night. And their “Early Bird Special” (pasta with choice of sauce & any n/a beverage for $6.99 or a vegetarian platter with enjera & any n/a beverage for $7.99) is available from noon to 6pm. Happy Hour is 4 to 8 all seven days of the week ($3 beers!–including imports & small craft collection).
Also, the upstairs lounge there, or “Studio Ga Ga”, as it is colloquially known as, has become the unofficial nightly hang-out spot for the old Dr. Clock’s/Asylum/Toledo Lounge/Millie & Al’s/Angles diaspora and features a New Wave/’80’s-heavy playlist and host of $8 absinthe drinks.”
Check out the menu after the jump. (more…)
2471 18th Street, NW
From a Facebook event Thursday:
“The Old: After a happy year at ESL, the creative team from Addendum is moving right up 18th Street into the basement of Smoke & Barrel. We wish our old partners well.
The New: The move from Dupont to Adams Morgan is a pleasant one for us, as it brings us closer to our community. We’ve got a new name and some cozy new digs, but some things remain the same: no sugar, no citrus; no muss, no fuss; no shakers and no f*ing Tito’s. Jenny (Feldt) leads the charge on cocktails, programming, and hugs, while Lukey (B. Smith) runs the development house, providing the ingredients that keep things fresh in the absence of syrup and citrus.
This will be the first night of our two-month run as a PopUp called Past Perfect. Past Perfect will be taking over “Beneath the Barrel” below Smoke& Barrel and will be open Thursday through Sundays starting at 6pm until last call.“
“Detectives from the Metropolitan Police Department’s Third District have announced an arrest has been made in an Assault on a Police Officer offense that occurred in the 2400 block of 18th Street, Northwest, on Sunday, October 29, 2017.
At approximately 2:13 am, the suspect approached an on duty police officer, who was in uniform, at the listed location. The suspect produced a BB gun, pointed it at the police officer, and pulled the trigger. The BB gun did not expel any projectiles. The suspect was immediately apprehended without injury to either the officer or the suspect. The BB Gun was recovered on the scene.
On Sunday, October 29, 2017, 23-year-old Celeste Alejandra Almaguer, of Northwest, DC, was arrested and charged with Assault on a Police Officer. The defendant was additionally charged with Assault with a Dangerous Weapon (BB Gun), and Possession of a Prohibited Weapon (BB Gun).”
1841 Columbia Road, NW
“Details about Pitango Gelato + Café, Adams Morgan (opening Saturday):
- This will be Pitango’s sixth location, bringing an expanded concept to the neighborhood with an Italian café and gelateria. Pitango currently has gelaterias in Eastern Market, Penn Quarter, Reston-VA, and a Pitango Bakery + Café in Baltimore.
- The light-service café seats 40, with an outdoor patio that seats 15, and will be open from 8am to 11pm Sunday through Thursday, and until 12 am on Friday and Saturday.
- Food: In addition to its signature gelato, Pitango Gelato + Café will offer an Italian-inspired food menu featuring staples including charcuterie, sandwiches, salads, and pastries. Notable DC chef Alex McCoy of Alfie’s and the upcoming Lucky Buns, consulted on the savory menu.
- Beverage: Pitango Gelato + Café will also offer specialty drinks and alcoholic affogatos, combining spirits, like prosecco or liquor, with gelato, sorbet and coffee. Pitango Gelato + Café will have prosecco on tap, as well as Italian-sourced beer and wine.
- Coffee: The Adams Morgan coffee program will feature an exclusive custom espresso blend, with smooth texture with hints of toasted caramel, developed by local DC roaster Vigilante Coffee Co that will convey a smooth, toasted caramel flavor. Offerings will include nitro cold brew on tap, cold brew, and affogato.
- The Adams Morgan location F&B offerings will be rooted in Pitango’s commitment to combining traditional, authentic methods with a focus on pure and simple ingredients.
- Distinct aspects of this location and Pitango’s ingredients:
- Pitango Adams Morgan will be the first gelateria in DC to showcase the Cattabriga Effe 6 Vertical Gelato maker, which will bring gelato production to the front of the house so that customers can view the gelato being churned in an old-style vertical gelato machine from Italy. The vertical gelato maker also allows Pitango makers to have full creative control over the quality, consistency and flavor – the vertical opening allows gelato makers to add unique and fun ingredients to create customized flavors.
- F&B items sourced from Italy, including Domori Chocolate, which is sourced from Torino; Nocciole D’Elite Hazelnuts, which are from Langhe; Pistachio nuts sourced from Mount Etna.
- Hand-rolled croissants (with house-made dough), breads and pastries that are baked daily with locally-sourced ingredients in Pitango’s bakery located in Baltimore.
- Pitango Sorbets are made with seasonal fruit and sourced daily.
- Pitango sources milks as its own dairy on Spring Wood Organic Farm in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. Its products contain no artificial flavorings, colorings, chemicals, preservatives, or processed ingredients.”
food photos courtesy Pitango
Check out the menus and a couple more food photos after the jump. (more…)
via google maps
“At approximately 12:55 a.m., Third District patrol units responded to the 1800 block of Columbia Road, NW for the sound of gunshots. Upon their arrival they found a shattered window of a vacant business within the block along with a bullet fragment. At this time there are no reported injuries from the event and no one has reported that they were targeted. The Third District is investigating the scene as a destruction of property and there is no look out for a suspect. Should anyone have additional information please call our Command Information Center at 202-277-4898 or send a text tip to 50411.”
1841 Columbia Road, NW
From an email:
“Pitango, a family-owned artisanal gelatería, will open Pitango Gelato + Café in Adams Morgan on October 28th, bringing an expanded concept to the neighborhood with savory and bar menus. Like a classic Italian café, the spot aims to be a welcoming hangout from breakfast cappuccino and croissants to evening sandwiches and charcuterie. The café will serve beer, wine–and Prosecco on tap. (more…)