1308 G Street, NW
Following on the heels of GBD which opened last week in Dupont, Astro Doughnuts & Fried Chicken opened at 1308 G Street, NW. From a press release:
Astro Doughnuts & Fried Chicken, a casual yet refined take on two comfort food classics – fried chicken and doughnuts – will open for business on April 8 at 1308 G Street, NW Washington, DC. After several months of catering and pop-up sales, pastry Chef Jason Gehring, formerly of Fiola, The Charleston and Cinghiale in Baltimore, and Poste Moderne Brasserie, has had the opportunity to test a variety of flavors and is excited to serve his evolving array of haute doughnuts, fried chicken, side dishes and one specialty sandwich. Astro will exclusively serve artisan drip coffee from Brooklyn Roasting Company, as well as sparkling and flavored waters. Sourcing some of the finest ingredients available, including Benton’s Bacon, locally raised, free range chicken, Valrhona chocolate, King Arthur flour, and Plugrá butter to name a few, Chef Gehring will vary seasonal doughnut flavors based on fruit and produce availability from local farmers.
During the opening week of April 8 – 12, Astro will have limited hours, opening at 8:00 a.m. until all doughnuts and fried chicken are sold out. On opening day, the first 200 people in line will receive one free doughnut with any purchase, while the first 50 people in line for lunch will receive a complimentary side with any chicken purchase. All lunch sales, including chicken, sides and the chicken and doughnut sandwich will begin at 11:00 a.m. After the soft opening week, regular operating hours will be 7:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Below is the opening menu.
See the menu after the jump.
· Fried Chicken: 2 pieces for $5.25; 4 pieces for $10, 8 pieces for $18.50; 3 chicken tenders for $5.
o Traditional buttermilk – Chef Jason’s family recipe
o Korean style – double fried
§ Spicy Garlic – Korean chili paste and garlic glaze
§ Sriracha – Spicy Asian glaze
· Chicken BLT: $7
o Cheddar and chive doughnut with buttermilk fried chicken, Benton’s bacon, lettuce, tomato and Sriracha mayo.
· Doughnuts: Prices range from $2.25 to $2.85 per piece, and one-dozen orders will include the 12th doughnut on the house.
· Sides: $1.95 per 6 oz. container
o Potato salad
o Asian Slaw
Daily Selection (available every day)
· Vanilla Glazed – vanilla bean glaze ($2.25)
· Brooklyn Blackout – devil’s food cake, chocolate glaze, cookie crumbs ($2.50)
· Maple Bacon – maple glaze, Benton’s bacon ($2.50)
· Peanut Butter & Jelly – strawberry jelly, peanut butter glaze ($2.85)
· Crème Brulée – vanilla custard, bruléed vanilla glaze ($2.85)
· Twink-nut – golden vanilla cake, buttercream filling, vanilla glaze ($2.50)
· Seasonal: **In honor of the Cherry Blossom Festival, a specialty doughnut filled with black cherry compote and an Earl Grey tea glaze will be available every day through April 14 for $2.85.
· Lemon Blueberry – blueberry cake, lemon glaze, streusel ($2.50)
· Pistachio – pistachio glaze and crumble, chocolate drizzle ($2.25)
· Salted Caramel – caramel glaze, almonds, fleur de sel ($2.25)
· Applesauce – cinnamon dough, apple compote, caramel glaze ($2.85)
· Lemon Passion Fruit – lemon curd, passion fruit glaze ($2.85)
· Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip – chocolate chip cake, peanut butter glaze, cookie crumbs ($2.50)
· Saigon Cinnamon – cinnamon dough, cinnamon glaze ($2.25)
· Espresso – espresso dough, espresso glaze ($2.25)
· White chocolate mocha – espresso dough, white ganache, espresso glaze ($2.85)
· Creamsicle – orange curd, blood orange glaze ($2.85)
· Pumpkin – pumpkin raisin cake, maple glaze, gingersnap crumbs ($2.50)
· Carrot Cake – carrot dough, cream cheese glaze, pecans ($2.25)
· Piña Colada – pineapple compote, coconut glaze ($2.85)
· Boston Cream – vanilla custard, chocolate glaze ($2.85)
· Triple Chocolate – chocolate dough, chocolate custard, chocolate glaze ($2.85)
· Banana Nut – banana cake, mascarpone glaze, pecans ($2.50)
· Gingerbread – gingerbread dough, gingerbread glaze ($2.25)
· Grapefruit – pink grapefruit glaze ($2.25)
· Black & White – chocolate dough, white ganache, vanilla glaze ($2.85)
· Gianduia – chocolate dough, chocolate custard, hazelnut glaze ($2.85)
· Chocolate Glazed – Valrhona chocolate glaze ($2.25)
· Pecan – butterscotch glaze, pecans ($2.25)
· Mocha – espresso dough, chocolate custard, espresso glaze ($2.85)
· Oatmeal raisin – oatmeal dough, buttercream filling, granola crumbs ($2.85)
· S’Mores – chocolate cake doughnut, dark chocolate glaze, graham cracker crumbs, meringue ($2.50)
o Panna Water: $1.75
o San Pellegrino Aranciata: $1.75.
o Coffee: Brooklyn Roasting Company: $2.15/12 oz.; $2.50/16 oz.