5830 Georgia Ave, NW
Thanks to a reader for passing on from the Brightwood listserv:
“Chocolate Crust – Trying to stay in Business
As the owner of Chocolate Crust Bakery I want to thank you for letting us be part of your growing community for the past 20 months. I am also compelled to let you know that at this time the Bakery’s future is very uncertain as debts have piled up due to low sales.
Unfortunately, the recognition and notoriety that the Bakery has won in the community has not yet translated into the increased sales necessary to keep the Bakery’s doors open. The Cooking Channel program airing the 22nd this month will certainly result in a bounce in sales for us. However, a strategy needs to be in place to sustain the sales beyond that.
I am therefore asking for your input and what would you like to see from us. For example, what food products would provoke you and at what prices, and would you be interested in additional services such delivery, later hours or even classes?
If you have not stopped by in a while I invite you to return. If you had an unfortunate experience with us, we have made many positive changes. In fact, we have the best staff we have ever had. We also do wholesale and catering, so if you know a coffee shop or restaurant needing some new variety please let me know.
While I am grateful for the wonderful positive comments I hear every day about us and our delicious chocolate food and pastries, I hope you will share your comments with your friends and neighbors and encourage them to stop by soon. Feel free to share this with other neighborhood groups in the area that I may not know of.
Just so you know I am not just standing by, this is my current focus:
– Do a targeted mailing to area neighborhoods
– Placing door hanger flyers in targeted neighborhoods
– Start reliable delivery service in a 2 mile radius using Caviar delivery service (www.trycaviar.com)
– Re-open later in the evenings until 8pm or 9pm
– Concerted effort to generate catering & wholesale business
– Capitalize on the Cooking Channel TV show featuring us on the on the 22nd this month
– Working with neighborhood businesses to do a “Taste of Georgia Ave” food tour on the 25th this month to showcase all the great food we have here.
I love this neighborhood, and I would love to continue to be a part of it.
Yours in service,
Chef Robert Cabeca