I had the opportunity to speak with one of the owners, Matt, tonight and I’ll be meeting with him for a longer discussion this weekend. But he did ease a lot of my concerns and I wanted to share them with you before I do a full post on the change of ownership next week.
- It was very important to Josh and Rob [the sellers] that Temperance remain a Petworth neighborhood bar.
- Temperance has a different kind of license so there will continue to be a low key feel. I.E. There are not likely to be dance parties breaking out with live music and DJs.
- They are not trying to replicate Wonderland at Temperance Hall. In other words Temperance will not become a Wonderland annex or outpost.
- They are still going to keep the same decor, feel and ambiance with a slight change to the layout which will include the addition of some more booth and upholstered seating.
- The name Looking Glass Lounge is not set in stone although it will probably be renamed that at some point.
- They understand the importance of the “neighborhood” bar and believe sincerely that the current patrons will be very happy in the future.
I also spoke with Dan Searing the general manager who assured me he will be staying on as general manager which I think says a lot about the new owners. Much more to come next week but I think any fears that Temperance will simply become a Wonderland II have been put to rest.
Update: “East metro access closed due to a shooting, the glass at the bus stop on NH is shattered out. Security guard in my building reported shooting” From MPD: “Alert:…
Peri sends above at 4:21pm. And Justin sends a photo closer to 5pm: “Car crash at Florida and 1stNE, aka DC’s worst intersection”
photos courtesy National Gallery of Art From the National Gallery of Art: “National Gallery Nights returns this fall, bringing lively, multisensory, themed programs to the East Building after hours on…
Thanks to Adam for sending this “pretty sweet vintage VW Pop-Top Camper in Rock Creek Park” Sweet City Ride is made possible by readers like you! Email your finds to…