Washington, DC

A reader reports yesterday afternoon:

“Just had a really awful experience wondering if happened to others- was crossing Columbia and 18th Street and a woman turned around and spit all over me in the crosswalk. I wanted to avoid having police involved if possible and called the Mobile Crisis team, but due to the nature I ended up having to file a police report. It did seem like she was mentally ill.”

Ed. Note: Some useful numbers we’ve mentioned in the past:

“Psychiatric Emergency Services (PES): 202-673-9319 (24hrs, 7 days per week)
Mobile Crisis Services (MCS): 202-673-9300 (9am -1am, 7 days per week)
Homeless Outreach Program (HOP): 202-673-9124 (9am -8pm , M-F)

Also you can call 311, 911 or 1(888)7WE-HELP (1-888-793-4357).”

And as another reader noted in the past: “MPD’s mental health team is called “Crisis Intervention Team” or C.I.T. As the OP said, if the person you’re dealing with is in any way violent or a threat to themselves or others it’s really best to call 911 first.”


Subscribe to our mailing list