From the Office of the District of Columbia Auditor:
“Please find attached a press release for the report, “Internal Weaknesses Found in Marion S. Barry Summer Youth Employment Program” (MBSYEP) from the Office of the D.C. Auditor. ODCA was directed to evaluate multiple years of the summer youth jobs program to assess whether the program has met and is meeting program objectives. The report is a review of MBSYEP during 2015 and 2016 and is the last of four reports intended to fulfill the Council’s directive.
The report’s findings include:
- Some $43K in unaccounted-for transportation expenses.
- Instances when DOES exceeded legally-mandated wage rates and hours of work for MBSYEP participants.
- Weaknesses in the information technology system procedures used by MBSYEP that pose risks for waste, fraud, and abuse.
- The lack of sufficient advance planning that caused adverse consequences for the effectiveness of the program and unnecessary costs.
- Inefficient payroll processing, including 18 payrolls processed for a six-week program.”
You can read the full report here.