“I’d like to know what the absolute minimum requirements of licensed professionals would be to get a permit”

Photo by PoPville flickr user nevermindtheend

“Dear PoPville,

I want to put an addition on my row house. I know popups aren’t popular these days, but I’ve wanted one for 15 years and never had the money. I want to do it before the regulations get any tighter, so I’m trying to move quickly, but my cash is tight. I have a background in construction and want to do all of the work myself. I’d like to know what the absolute minimum requirements of licensed professionals would be in order for a homeowner to get a permit to build an addition. For example does a licensed architect need to approve the plans? A structural engineer? What requirements are lessened for a homeowner working on his own property?”

Recent Stories

3211 M Street, NW Billy Reid opened in the former Pizzeria Uno space back in 2013. Stay tuned for Todd Snyder. This has been Dan Silverman reporting.

Sweet City Ride

Happy to see this guy still kicking around! Thanks to Will for sending from NE. Sweet City Ride is made possible by readers like you! Email your finds to [email protected]

photo by Diane Krauthamer Ed. Note: If this was you, please email [email protected] so I can put you in touch with OP. “Dear PoPville, Tuesday, 3/21, I was on the…

If you have any animal/pet photos you’d like to share please send an email to princeofpetworth(at)gmail(dot)com with ‘Animal Fix’ in the title and say the name of your pet and…

NoMa in Bloom

NoMa in Bloom Festival returns to Alethia Tanner Park on Saturday, April 1st, from 11 a.m.-3 p.m.! The free National Cherry Blossom official event includes free kite kits for kite-making and flying, live music from DJ Mathia Broohm, an artisan market curated

Women Brewers & Distillers Tasting at metrobar

Join us for a celebration of beer and spirits from these amazing local women! Tickets are $25 and get you tasting pours of many of their beers and spirits, plus learn about these local libations from the women who create


Subscribe to our mailing list