Metro is advising customers to expect a busy afternoon on Metrorail today, as the confluence of several major events will overlap with the regular rush-hour period.
Factors that are expected to increase ridership include:
• A major rally scheduled between 3 p.m. and 6 p.m. at the US Capitol that is expected to draw 30,000 attendees. Most participants will travel between Stadium-Armory and Capitol South, with additional ridership expected at Eastern Market and Federal Center SW stations.
• A Nationals game starting at 7 p.m. will draw large crowds to Navy Yard Station, and will increase ridership at the downtown transfer stations (primarily L’Enfant Plaza and Gallery Place).
• Cherry Blossom visitors traveling to/from the National Mall will continue to increase ridership at Smithsonian and L’Enfant Plaza station.
• A 7 p.m. Wizards home game at Verizon Center will add ridership at Gallery Place.
Travelers this afternoon may experience more crowded trains and stations during the height of evening rush hour.
Metro plans to operate additional 8-car trains during the afternoon hours, prior to the rally, along with extra Green Line trains between Mount Vernon Square and Anacostia stations during rush hour to accommodate baseball travel.
Customers may wish to plan their travel to avoid the following stations, if possible:
• Capitol South (consider Eastern Market or Federal Center SW as alternates)
• Stadium-Armory (consider Potomac Ave as alternate)
• L’Enfant Plaza (consider other transfer stations)
• Smithsonian (Cherry Blossom visitors should consider Arlington Cemetery or Federal Triangle)
If a train is too crowded to board, please step back to the platform and allow the doors to close. Holding the doors can result in personal injury and can delay the train and all trains behind it.