87°Partly Cloudy

Dear PoPville – More Loitering/Quality of Life Concerns

by Prince Of Petworth May 18, 2011 at 10:00 am 141 Comments

Photo by PoPville flickr user maria jpeg

“Dear PoP,

I have been having a lot of trouble with a rowdy group of group of teens and 20-year-olds hanging out on my front lawn in Park View. Though I would not mind it THAT much if they were simply hanging out, a lot of their behavior is a disruption not only to my house but to most of the block. Their activities include selling/smoking pot, drinking then throwing empty deuces on my lawn, really loud verbal confrontation, blasting music from their cars late into the night, leaving containers of half eaten take-out on my walkway and general ruckusness.

I have called police non emergency but per usual with that number leads nowhere. Neighborhood cops come by to break them up but they come back a few hours later. I have even tried talking with them and it seems to go in one ear and out the other. They are never nasty and are sometimes even apologize to me when I ask them to leave but the next day they are back. During the winter months this would really only happen on the weekends but now that the weather is nice they are more or less there all day everyday.

Is it over kill to call 911? I have talked to police about the problem and they knew all about them before I even mentioned my address. Apparently they have claimed my lawn and sidewalk as their “spot” years ago before i moved in.”

This is such a frustrating situation. We had a recent discussion about a reader who wondered if he could resolve a similiar situation without being “that guy”. Many will be quick to tell you to move. I think people who dismiss these complaints have never really experienced it. It’s easy to say suck it up when you are not woken up at all hours etc. It’s particularly troubling that this behavior is occurring on your property. I’m afraid, if illegal activities are ongoing and it is disturbing your quality of life and the quality of life of your neighbors then you should call 911. It’s a shitty situation and it sucks doing it but if you spoke to the group and they keep returning then the situation will not resolve itself. Sadly, if the police come the behavior will likely just move to a different nearby location but I say you do what you gotta do.

Ed. Note: See other people still use the term ruckus as well…


Subscribe to our mailing list