Photo from PoPville Flickr user Bogotron
The following question comes from twitter user @Zoom268. They write:
“Increase #wmata fares and reducing services? Where is the talk of a commuter tax/fee in or out of DC? ”
Board Member Chris Zimmerman says riders should understand now that fare increases and service cuts are necessary and inevitable… Some service reductions being considered are:
* Reducing bus and rail service on some holidays and holiday-related days (i.e. the day after Thanksgiving) to be more in line with ridership
* Eliminating bus service that overlaps local jurisdictional service
* Eliminating low-ridership bus service
* Increasing the intervals (headways) between trains and buses
* Closing some station mezzanines and rail stations during periods of low ridership
* Modifying late-night rail and bus service
* Beginning rail service later in the mornings
I don’t think we’ve ever discussed a commuter tax before for those that live outside DC and commute into the city for work. As a DC resident it’s easy for me to say I support one. But I’ve also heard arguments where if such a tax were implemented, DC will simply end up losing folks who set up their offices in DC. So what do you guys think about a commuter tax in general? Is it a good way to deal with the WMATA budget shortfall or is a fare increase and/or reduced services, unfortunately, the price that needs to be paid in this economic climate?
Ed. Note: You can follow PoPville on twitter here.
Friday there were 60,205 total positives. explore all the official D.C. data here From the Mayor’s Office: “The District’s reported data for September 24-26, 2021 includes 566 new positive coronavirus…
Sarah send this GoFundMe for Casa Ruby.
Ed. Note: If this is you, please email [email protected] so I can put you in touch with OP. For those curious about past missed connections, some have been made and…
If you have any animal/pet photos you’d like to share please send an email to princeofpetworth(at)gmail(dot)com with ‘Animal Fix’ in the title and say the name of your pet and…