Photo by Bekah Richards
Thanks to DJ for passing on from DCA:
“The biggest change to Reagan National Airport in more than 20 years is coming just in time for the holiday travel season: two new security screening checkpoint buildings. These consolidated security screening areas will expand shopping and dining options for ticketed passengers and make connecting to flights through DCA easier than ever.
What’s Happening and When
1. Customers traveling the evening of November 8 should follow signage and staff instructions as the airport gets ready for the new checkpoints to open for first flights November 9.
2. Beginning the evening of November 8, all ground transportation shuttle buses — including parking, rental cars and hotel shuttles — will be relocated to the Baggage Claim curb and join taxis, ride app pick-up and private vehicle pick-up on the lower level.
3. Beginning at 4 a.m. on November 9, departing passengers flying Alaska, American, Delta, JetBlue and United will follow new signs to their gate through one of two new security screening checkpoints. Post-security, passengers traveling on these airlines will be able to move freely between Gates 10 and 59 without the need for re-screening.
4. Customers flying Air Canada, Frontier and Southwest won’t experience any changes moving through Terminal A, which serves Gates 1-9. They will still be able to walk to and from Metrorail through an indoor walkway that links to the public side of one of the new checkpoint buildings.
Follow the signs to reach your gate
· Passengers being dropped off, parking in Terminal Garages or arriving by Metrorail should look for airline signs first, which will help direct them to the checkpoint closest to their gate.
· Signs to “Ticketing/Check-In” lead to airline check-in counters.
· Following signs for Gates 10 through 59 will route passengers through the closer of the two checkpoints. Both new checkpoints provide access to the same range of gates.
· Customers who already have boarding passes and no bags to check can follow signs to their numbered gate.
New option for American and Delta ticketing and bag check
The new checkpoint buildings have dedicated ticket counters and kiosks for American and Delta customers who need to print a boarding pass or check baggage. This is in addition to the main airline counters on the Ticketing (upper) level.
More space, more choices
Once passengers clear the new checkpoint, they can go just about anywhere. Movement between Gates 10 and 59 will be possible without exiting and re-entering checkpoints. Food and shopping options will no longer be limited to individual gate areas. About 100,000 square feet of additional post-security space will be gained through this change.
Old security checkpoints will go away
The three screening areas that have served Terminal B/C since 1997 will ultimately be removed. Once the old equipment is cleared, wider hallways will link gate areas with concourses and provide opportunities for new amenities in the space.
Ground transportation locations effective on the evening of Monday, November 8
In the late evening on November 8, all buses and shuttles (rental cars, parking, hotel, multi-party) will relocate back to the Baggage Claim (lower) level roadway. For the past few years, these vehicles had been temporarily moved to the Ticketing/Check-In (upper) level for Project Journey construction.
Ride app, taxi and private vehicle pick-up locations will not change and will remain on the Baggage Claim (lower) level roadway.
The above map shows ground transportation locations for arriving passengers that will become effective at 8:45 p.m. on Monday, November 8.”
January 18 Coronavirus Data New Cases: 480 confirmed and 110 probable From the Mayor’s Office: “The District’s reported data for January 19, 2022 includes 489 new confirmed positive coronavirus (COVID-19)…
One reader explains: “One of these was purchased in November 2020, the other November 2021. We had ambitious plans to use the 2020 tree as firewood, but clearly never got…
1100 15th Street, NW photo by Donna Batcho Check out a draft Philotimo Menu Thanks to Donna for sharing: “Opening this Saturday. Chef Nick Stefanelli’s Philotimo. [“An exploration of Greece’s…
If you have any animal/pet photos you’d like to share please send an email to princeofpetworth(at)gmail(dot)com with ‘Animal Fix’ in the title and say the name of your pet and…