Photo by Bekah Richards
“Metro’s Board of Directors today approved improvements to Metrobus and Metrorail service and fares that will support the region’s recovery and encourage more customers to return to transit.
Rail service will be extended to midnight, seven days a week, in July, and other bus and rail service improvements and fare changes will start being implemented in the Fall, beginning Labor Day weekend, as many in the region prepare to go back to work and school.
“This package of service and fare changes makes it easier for riders to return to Metro and give transit a try,” said Metro Board Chair Paul C. Smedberg. “The Board today voted to provide more frequent trains and buses, addresses the historic transfer fee to promote connecting from bus to rail, and includes special weekend fares that will encourage visitors and area families to take transit as they start traveling again.”
Dates of key service changes and improvements will be detailed in future announcements. The improvements approved by the Board today include:
- More frequent all day service, including weekends: Trains will operate every 6 minutes on the Red Line and every 12 minutes on all other lines, seven days a week during off-peak hours (beginning September on weekdays, late 2021 on weekends).
- Better peak service: On weekdays, trains will operate every 5 minutes on the Red Line (late 2021) and every 10 minutes on all other lines (September) during peak hours to accommodate return to work and school.
- Improved late night service and hours: Metrorail will extend operating hours to midnight, seven days a week (July). After 9:30 p.m., late-night train frequencies will improve to every 10 minutes on the Red Line, and every 15 minutes on all other lines (September). Operating hours will expand until 1 a.m. on Fridays and Saturdays (September).
- Increased service: 20 bus lines will operate every 12 minutes or better, 7 a.m. – 9 p.m., seven days a week. (September)
- Increased service: 16 bus lines will operate every 20 minutes or better, 7 a.m. – 9 p.m., seven days a week. (September)
- Service restored or improved on an additional 46 bus routes. (September)
- Weekends: Flat fare of $2 on Metrorail. (September)
- Transfers: Free bus transfers to / from rail. (September)
- Passes: Lower 7-day Regional Bus Pass price from $15 to $12. (September)”
Update from Union Market: “We are currently cooperating with law enforcement in their investigation. We are currently open and will be open regular hours tomorrow.” Readers report around 4pm: “Heard…
300 Massachusetts Ave, NE Thanks to Brian for sending around 3:50pm: “Just… how.”
Thanks to Joy for sending from West End: “great design.” Sweet City Ride is made possible by readers like you! Email your finds to [email protected]
photo by Lee M.. Ed. Note: If any of these was you, please email [email protected] so I can put you in touch with OP. “Dear PoPville, I had a missed…
Normally the Leaving the Theater podcast brings you fresh reviews of television and film while exiting the movies or sitting on the couch. However, on this night we are inviting all of you to join us at the historic Miracle
Head to The Pocket at 7DrumCity for a night of original rock music from local artists in the DMV.
$12 Advance, $15 Day of Show
Doors 7 PM | Show 8 PM (All ages)