But seriously, this area is fixing to be pretty sweet.
From a press release:
“Hoffman-Madison Waterfront (HMW), developer of The Wharf, announced new additions to its expanding dining and entertainment scene, where the District’s best chefs, restaurant owners and entertainment impresarios are creating the region’s most eagerly awaited waterfront destination.
New concepts coming to The Wharf include:
● Eric and Ian Hilton, renowned for creating neighborhood mainstays including Georgetown’s Chez Billy Sud, and The Gibson along 14th Street, will open The Brighton, a high-energy waterfront pub
● Chef K.N. Vinod and Surfy Rahman, the DC area-based hospitality veterans behind Indique and Bombay Bistro, who, after over a decade of serving diners some of the most celebrated and exciting Indian cuisine in Washington DC and Maryland, will open a new Indian dining concept at The Wharf.
● Cathal Armstrong will open Kaliwa, a new dining destination with a distinct Filipino, Thai and Korean menu
● Nick Fontana, Bruce Gates and Henry Gandy, the team behind DC’s original dock bar, Cantina Marina, are bringing a small-format, live music venue and tavern named Pearl Street Warehouse to the waterfront
These new additions will open at The Wharf starting in October of 2017, joining:
● Nick Stefanelli, the chef behind Masseria, is opening a three-story Italian market and restaurant at The Wharf that will include an 80-seat trattoria, a rooftop bar, an Italian eatery, a butcher shop, cheese counter and bakery. Stefanelli’s yet-to-be-named Italian market has an anticipated opening of Spring 2018.
● Potomac Distilling Company, a multi-story rum distillery with an inventive new twist on a Tiki Bar from “master mixologist” Todd Thrasher.
● Del Mar by James Beard Award-winning chef Fabio Trabocchi will pay homage to the island of Mallorca with Del Mar. The two-level waterfront Spanish and seafood restaurant is destined to become a standout in the DC restaurant scene.
● Hank’s Oyster Bar by Jamie Leeds, one of Washington’s most highly recognized chefs, is a reinvention of her famed Hank’s Oyster Bar for The Wharf. Hank’s On The Water will be known for its simple, approachable seafood menu, consisting of “urban beach food” in small and large plates for sharing—in an incomparable waterfront setting along 7th Street Park and Wharf Street.
● Rappahannock Oyster Bar by cousins and fourth generation oyster farmers of Chesapeake Bay, Travis and Ryan Croxton, will open at The Wharf. The new location will occupy the restored historic oyster shed (circa 1912) at the Municipal Fish Market and will have 40 seats indoors and another 80 outdoors.
● Requin by Top Chef Mike Isabella and Top Chef Finalist Jennifer Carroll will open at The Wharf. Their restaurant, situated on the edge of District Pier, will bring the Mediterranean coast of France to The Wharf. The riverside restaurant will have an extensive European wine menu and a social-centric sharing menu. The restaurant’s indoor-outdoor setting will have expansive waterfront views.
● Kirwan’s by Ireland native Mark Kirwan will be an authentic Irish Pub that will honor the rich Irish heritage of the Southwest Waterfront. Live Irish music will complement the convivial scene.
Stretching across 24 acres of land and 50 acres of water, The Wharf is the largest mixed-use development in the Greater Washington area. In addition to diverse and innovative dining experiences, The Wharf will reconnect the District with its waterfront, and when complete, create a vibrant, amenity-rich, 24-hour neighborhood for businesses, residents and regional visitors alike.”
Great news from MPD: “Hendrix has been located and reunited with their owner!” Update from MPD:
Thanks to David for sending this Sweet Mustang in “Commanders colors” Sweet City Ride is made possible by readers like you!
Thanks to Kristen for sending this great shot from the Gateway Arch! If you get a photo with any of your shirt/merch on your travels – please send a photo…
If you have any animal/pet photos you’d like to share please send an email to princeofpetworth(at)gmail(dot)com with ‘Animal Fix’ in the title and say the name of your pet and…
You are cordially invited to the Embassy of Austria for a thrilling evening with Mozart. What a better way to spend Christmas and Hannukah! Our full orchestra and lead singers, some of whom sing at the Met, will appeal to teens as they begin their journey to the classics! We expect to be sold out soon…..
Get your tickets now!
Under the Gracious Patronage of H.E. Petra Schneebauer, Ambassador of Austria
Julien Benichou, Conductor
Kevin Short as Figaro
Manna K. Jones as Susanna
Stephen Powell as Count Almaviva
Laquita Mitchell as Contessa
Anna Kelly as Cherubino
Maggie Polglaze as Barbarina
John Gibney as Bartolo
Leah Heater as Marcellina
Christopher Jon Hartung as Antonio & Don Curzio
Narration provided by Robin Phillips
Embassy of Austria
3524 International Court NW
Washington, DC 20008
Doors Open/Cocktails 6:30 pm
Performance including Intermission 7:15 pm
Wine Reception with Heavy Hors d’oeuvres 9:15 to 10:30 pm
Box Seats $250
Orchestra Reserved $150
Seniors (over 65 years old) Unreserved $80 [sold out]
Students with ID $50
Come solve a crime that took place in Takoma Park 130 years ago!
HouseMouse Books and Vintage is excited to announce the debut of Escape the Bookshop II, our new limited-run escape room experience. Escape the Bookshop II is a unique group puzzle game that is based on a real crime that took place in Takoma Park around 130 years ago. It is designed and created by HouseMouse to be played in our atmospheric little bookshop. This is not your typical corporate escape room and makes for a memorable evening out with friends or family!
Bookings are now open for game dates in January through April 2024. The game generally takes place Wednesday through Saturday at 8 PM but special arrangements can be made upon request. It is designed to be played by a group of 3 to 6 people (ages 16+) and lasts for one hour. No prior escape room experience is needed to enjoy the game.
Join us at Spirits & Spice DC Store as we embark on a spirited journey with the co-owner of the Mount Pleasant Club Whiskey.
Brace yourselves for an unforgettable whiskey-tasting experience where we’ll not only indulge in the smoothness of