1317 Connecticut Avenue, NW
From a press release:
Starting Monday February 11th, DGS Delicatessen will debut a bar menu of “noshes” from Chef Barry Koslow and inventive cocktails from General Manager and Beverage Director Brian Zipin. Zipin and Koslow have worked closely to incorporate elements of traditional Jewish cooking into a playful and modern interpretation of comfort food bar bites. In a riff on the classic bagels and lox, Chef Koslow is now offering a Smoked Salmon Tartare with Everything Aioli and Bagel Crunchies, ideal for sharing or as a pre-dinner snack. Koslow has also taken the Jewish comfort staple, the Reuben, and created a Grilled Tongue Reuben Slider, which he views as a gateway for less adventurous eaters to have a taste of offal. In line with the rest of the menu, the ingredients are sustainably sourced, and the meat, fish and pickles are all brined, cured, and smoked in-house.
Zipin has curated a selection of beers, wines by the glass, and cocktails that complement the bold flavors of Chef Koslow’s food. The interplay between old and new extends to the beverage menu with an ode to the Jewish gangster Meyer Lansky: the Meyer Lansky Sour is made with Small’s Gin, Meyer lemon juice and Regan’s orange bitters. Among the selection of craft beers, Tsingtao may look to be an anomaly at first glance. However, Zipin selected it not only because it’s a crisp, light beer that complements the Pastrami Chili and Cheese Fries well, but also as a nod to the four co-owners’ love of Chinese food–their chosen celebratory spot being Peking Gourmet in Falls Church.
The Happy Hour Bar Menu will be available at the bar between 5pm and 7pm Monday through Friday.
See the menus after the jump.
· Pastrami Chili and Cheese Fries $6
· Smoked Salmon Tartare, Everything Aioli, Bagel Crunchies $5
· Fiery Brisket Balls, Roasted Garlic Yogurt (3 for $5)
· Chopped Liver, Rye, Gribenes $5
· Mini Grilled Tongue Reuben $4
· Nick’s Mixed Nutz (crispy chickpeas, smoked almonds and ras el hanout dusted walnuts) $4
· Genesee Cream Ale $3
· Tsingtao $4
· Mama’s Little Yella Pils $4
Wines by the Glass:
· CHARDONNAY, Di Lenardo, Friuli, Italy $6
· GAMAY, Domaine Dupueble, Beaujolais France $6
· GRENACHE/SYRAH, Dauvergne-Ranvier, Luberon Vin Gourmand, Rhone, France $6
· SPARKLING ROSE, Weingut Gruber, Austria, $6
· COLOMBARD, Montgravet, France, $6
· LE MARAIS- Sparkling Rose, St. Germain, Orange Juice, Peychaud’s Bitters $7
· MEYER LANSKY SOUR- Small’s Gin, Meyer Lemon Juice, Regan’s Orange Bitters $7
· THE MENSCH- Old Overholt Rye, Regan’s Orange Bitters, Blood Orange, Sugar $7
· PICKLE BACK- Jameson, DGS Pickle Brine & a Genesee Cream Ale $9
· THE CHOSEN HIGHBALL- Cuba Libre, Flor de Cana White Rum, Coke, Lime