A reader sends the following report from the CUA Department of Public Safety:
On Monday, August 27, 2012, at 11:12 p.m., a Catholic University student was robbed and assaulted in the 700 block of Lawrence Street, N.E. After the victim exited her vehicle, the suspect approached the victim from behind, grabbed her by the neck and slammed her head against the vehicle. When the victim fell to the ground, the suspect continued the assault, and snatched her cell phone and car keys. The suspect entered the victim’s vehicle, removed cash and her debit card.
The suspect was last seen running towards the Brookland/CUA Metro station. The Metropolitan Police Department and Emergency Medical Services were notified.
The suspect was described as a black male; 5’7”; average build; mid-twenties; wearing a black sweatshirt; jean shorts; Timberland boots and gloves.
The CUA Department of Public Safety reminds students, faculty, staff, and visitors to follow these safety precautions:
* Stay alert and aware of your surroundings at all times.
* Notice persons approaching you or walking behind you.
* Trust your instincts. If a situation does not feel right, take protective action.
* Avoid alleys, short cuts and vacant lots. Stick to well lit, busy streets.
* Walk in groups or with a companion as often as possible.