Photo by PoPville flickr user maria jpeg
From an email:
On Wednesday, May 30, 2012, the District Department of Transportation (DDOT) will host a public pre-construction meeting for the U St. Streetscape Project. This meeting is being held in conjunction with Councilmember Jim Graham and other Ward 1 stakeholders. Representatives from DDOT will meet with the public to discuss the project details, explain the impacts that construction will have on the community and to also answer questions or concerns about the construction activities planned for this project.
The U St. Streetscape Project will include the following features and improvements:
· Roadway, driveway and alley entrance repairs and replacements
· Replacement of Deteriorated sidewalks with new ADA compliant sidewalks, the installation of streetscape and landscape features along the sidewalk areas, to include brick gutters and granite curbs
· Special decorative sidewalks in front of the Lincoln Theatre
· Reconstructed bus pads at all WMATA bus stops
· Storm drainage inlets will be upgraded to water quality inlets, new storm sewer pipes and fire hydrants
· New electrical duct bank system installations, new Teardrop and Washington Globe streetlights, and traffic signal upgrades and relocations
· Centralized parking meters and new traffic signs
The construction for this project is scheduled to start on or about June 11, 2012 and be completed by spring of 2013 barring any unforeseen or weather conditions. DDOT will start first with reconstructing a 0.4-mile segment of Historic U Street from 9th Street to 14th Street NW.
For more information on the project and to sign up for future updates visit www.ustreetproject.com.
Questions about this project may be directed to the DDOT Project Manager – Wendy Peckham at 202-671-4581.
What: Pre-Construction Meeting for the U St. Streetscape Project
When: Wednesday, May 30, 2012
7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
Where: Frank D. Reeves Center, 2000 14th Street, NW (2nd floor community room)