1460 WALLMOUNTABLES 2017!
Installation: July 19th 3-8 pm, July 20th 3-8 pm, and July 21st 3-6 PM
Deinstallation: September 16th – 17th 2-7 PM
The District of Columbia Arts Center (DCAC) announces the return of 1460 Wallmountables, DCAC’s annual open exhibition. On Wednesday, July 19th, DCAC will open its doors at 3 pm, beginning a three-day installation process during which artists can purchase up to five 2′ x 2′ spaces to hang their work.
Spaces sell on a first-come, first-served basis for $15 per square, with DCAC members receiving one free space and brand new members receiving four spaces for their membership fee of $30. Work is accepted from a wide range of media created by artists at various stages in their careers. There is no curating; if it fits, it shows.
To sweeten the deal, a $100 “Best Use of Space” prize is presented during the opening reception to the artist who makes the most innovative use of their 2′ x 2′ squares. Since the first Wallmountables in 1990, the exhibition has become a celebrated summer tradition at DCAC. One of the center’s most important fundraising events, the open exhibition runs from July 21st – September 8th.
DCAC is a 28-year-old nonprofit organization dedicated to supporting budding artists in the Washington, D.C. area. Our 800 square foot gallery and 42 seat theatre provides a professional venue for both visual and theatre artists. We also provide a structured program through which artists in all media can practice both the craft and the business of art. Today, DCAC is one of the only grassroots organizations available to artists looking to break into the mainstream. Just as artists have come to depend on our support, so too has the community come to associate DCAC with outstanding and original artistic expression.
General Regulations for 1460 Wallmountables:
• Each 2′ x 2′ space is $15 for non-members (maximum 5)
• DCAC members receive 1 free space. Additional spaces are available for $10 (maximum 5)
• Become a DCAC member at the event and receive three free spaces for a total of 4! (regular membership starts at $30)
• Each artist can purchase up to five spaces.
• Each piece must be 2′ x 2′ or smaller. Spaces may not be combined to accommodate larger pieces (larger pieces can be divided and placed in adjacent squares)
• All art must be wall mountable.
• No painting or writing directly onto the wall
• No adhesive materials can be used for hanging (i.e. spray mount, adhesive Velcro, 2-sided tape or wallpaper glue)
• Artists must bring their own materials for hanging their work (hammer, nails etc.)