4800 block 3rd St NW via DC Fire and EMS (12:57 AM March 14)
Thanks to Aaron for sharing: “Please consider donating to one of the families affected by the fire in Petworth on Tuesday morning. Staci is a teacher at Harriett Tubman Elementary.”
Another reader writes: “the owner of @atourofherown had a horrendous apartment fire in the 4800 block of 3rd Street NW early Tuesday morning. Everything she owns is ash. We are trying to raise money via GoFundMe.”
Another reader writes: “I’m a bartender in the city and one of my coworkers and their partner’s apartment building caught on fire. Tariq is not only one of my best friends but one of the reasons I wanted to become a bartender. I just want as much help as we can get because that guy not only could use it right now but deserves it.”
The GoFundMe for Staci says:
“Hello! My name is Reanna and I’m Staci’s sister in law. I created this GoFundMe to help Staci and her family after they lost everything in a fire recently.
On Tuesday March 14th at midnight Staci and Jamoca were woken up by their son, Tibol, crying. Their apartment was filled with smoke and they had to grab Tibol and run out of the building.
Everyone is safe, but they lost everything they own in the fire: clothes, photos, phones, laptops, and a brand new mattress (it was delivered the same day as the fire).
All donations will go directly to Staci to help rebuild what was lost.”
The GoFundMe for Kaitlin says:
“Kaitlin Calogera , the founder and president of A Tour of Her Own and an incredible advocate for women and the queer community in D.C., tragically lost her Petworth apartment and her two beloved cats to a fire on Monday, March 13. Everything in her home was completely destroyed.
Please join us in supporting this amazing community builder, who runs the first tourism company in the District to focus exclusively on women’s history, and constantly champions women’s representation in all spaces.”
The GoFundMe for Tariq and Kassie says:
“On Wednesday, March 14th, around midnight, my little brother, Tariq, and his partner, Kassie, lost all they had in a fire that engulfed the apartment building where they lived in Northwest, Washington, D.C. Kassie and Tariq thankfully survived and were taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation. Their dog, Kanunu, thankfully also survived, but their second furry baby, Sir Admiral Buttons, sadly died in the fire.
Tariq Abdal-Haqq is a well-respected DJ in the area. He lost so much, including most of his DJ equipment. Kassie Caudell is a social worker and an entrepreneur selling rare vintage clothing. Now, much of her inventory is destroyed. Imagine not only your belongings or your very precious pet being taken by a fire, but watching your livelihood burn as well.
Please join our team by donating to Tariq & Kassie’s GoFundMe. It will never be the same for them as they work to reassemble their lives, but we can hope to make things easier by sharing through donations. ALL funds will go directly to Tariq & Kassie for housing, any medical treatment, restoring their careers, and any costs in re-creating their household. Thank you so much.”
1300 I Street, NW previously home to Toro Toro Back in December we learned that Kitchen + Kocktails by Kevin Kelley was coming to I Street off Franklin Square in…
Thanks to Helen for sending: “15.5 months living in DC 15 months of hunting for a white whale Finally seen today on the Mall.” Friends of the White Whale Society…
photo by Adam Fagen From the Mayor’s Office: “Today, Mayor Muriel Bowser presented her Fiscal Year 2024 (FY24) Budget and Financial Plan to the Council of the District of Columbia…
Thanks to Enid for sharing this awesomeness: “We won the Amazon Petal Porches competition The best block on 10th Street NE in Brookland DC is taking part in this year’s…
Saturday in the Park
DMV single love birds, it’s time for something new! It’s time to meet someone IRL! Ditch the dating apps and come meet your new beau or babe at Saturday in the Park! The first iteration of SITP will be super