Photo from a World Cup watch in the Circle by Eric P.
“The fountain was formally dedicated the afternoon of May 17, 1921.
The ceremony, which was supervised by Lieutenant Colonel Clarence O. Sherrill, was described as “simple, yet impressive.” A temporary stand decorated with flags and shields was built for prominent guests including First Lady Florence Harding, Secretary of War John W. Weeks and Secretary of the Navy Edwin Denby. Chairs were placed along the walkways surrounding the fountain and sailors served as ushers for the event. While invited guests were being seated, the Navy Band performed music. Following the concert, members of the public were allowed to enter the area and soon filled the surrounding park.”
— PoPville (@PoPville) May 17, 2021