“The District Department of Transportation (DDOT) will host a public meeting on Monday, May 17, 2021 to discuss the 65-percent design plans for the Florida Avenue-New York Avenue NE Intersection Project. DDOT is redesigning the intersection, often referred to as “Dave Thomas Circle” or the “Virtual Circle,” to make it safer for pedestrians, bicyclists, and drivers in support of Mayor Bowser’s Vision Zero initiative to eliminate serious injuries and fatalities on the District’s roadways. Once complete, the redesigned intersection will:
- Realign and add two-way traffic to First Street, NE;
- Restore two-way traffic on Florida Avenue, NE;
- Add protected bicycle lanes;
- Make other improvements benefitting safety and legibility for all modes of travel; and
- Create three new public park spaces.
DDOT partnered with the NoMa Business Improvement District (BID) and NoMa Parks Foundation, which hired a landscape architecture firm to design thoughtful, innovative public spaces. The public space design has been incorporated into the design of the intersection.
The meeting will consist of a presentation given by DDOT staff, the project team, and partners, followed by a question and answer session. DDOT will provide a format to submit written comments after the meeting.
WHAT: Florida Avenue-New York Avenue NE Intersection Project (“Dave Thomas Circle”) 65% Design Public Meeting
WHEN: Monday, May 17, 2021
TIME: 6:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.
TO PARTICIPATE IN THE MEETING:
- Attend by WebEx – Click on following link: https://rebrand.ly/FloridaAveNYAveIntersectionMay17
- Event Number: 160 701 9651
- Event Password: DDOTmay17!
- Attend by phone – Call-in Instructions:
- Dial the U.S. Toll – Washington D.C. Phone Number: +1-202-860-2110
- Dial the meeting’s Access Code: 160 701 9651, followed by the # key.
The WebEx system will prompt you for an Attendee ID; this is not required.
Press the # key to join the meeting.
Can’t Make a Meeting?
Materials from this meeting will be made available on the project website on May 18, 2021: https://www.floridaaveproject.com“