Photo by Tim Brown
“Metro will rebuild deteriorating outdoor platforms at Arlington Cemetery, Addison Road, and four Green Line stations north of Fort Totten next year, continuing its robust capital program to keep the system safe and reliable for the next generation of riders. To date, Metro’s Platform Improvement Project has completed full platform replacements at 10 stations — six on the Blue and Yellow lines and four on the Orange Line. Construction activity is currently underway at Reagan National Airport Station marking the project’s halfway point, leaving nine stations to be completed in 2021 and 2022.
The updated schedule is as follows:
- Mid-February – May 2021: Arlington Cemetery and Addison Road stations will be closed for approximately three months for full platform replacement and station renovation. Silver Line trains will pass through the Addison Road construction site without stopping using a single track. Yellow Line trains will provide all trans-Potomac service for stations Pentagon and south.
- Summer 2021: West Hyattsville, Prince George’s Plaza, College Park, and Greenbelt closed for platform replacement and station renovation.
- Summer 2022: Cheverly, Landover, and New Carrollton closed for platform replacement and station renovation. Minnesota Avenue and Deanwood will also be closed.
As it has for all prior platform construction activity, Metro will partner and work closely with local jurisdictions and transportation agencies to develop alternative travel options, including free shuttle buses and other mitigation plans. Specific travel alternatives and rail service details will be announced in the coming months, along with public outreach to ensure awareness of the project.
Additional capital projects
In addition to platform reconstruction, Metro on Thursday will outline plans for upcoming capital projects that will require service changes over the next two years, including:
- Tunnel ventilation project (NTSB recommendation): Red Line single tracking between Dupont Circle and Van Ness from mid-July through August 2021
- Rockville canopy reconstruction: Crews will demolish and rebuild the aging canopy structure over the Rockville platform. As a result, Rockville Station will be closed for several months starting in the fall of 2021. Construction will necessitate the closure of Shady Grove Station for a portion of the project, because trains may not be able to pass through the active construction site. Free shuttle bus service will be provided.
- Bridge (Aerial Structure) Repairs: Approximately 10 weekend shutdowns at various locations will be required in the fall of 2021 / winter of 2022
- Grosvenor-Strathmore: As currently scheduled, structural rehabilitation of aerial track will require approximately 5 weekend closures in early 2022.
- Eastern Market to Cheverly / Addison Road: Repairs to the aerial structures over the Anacostia River will require approximately 5 weekend shutdowns in early 2022.
Construction schedules are tentative and subject to change. Additional information on service impacts and alternative travel options will be provided closer to project start dates.”