via Casey Trees
Thanks to Christa for sending from Casey Trees:
“Take Action! Protect D.C.’s Heritage Trees. Please tell your councilmember TODAY not to support Councilmember Allen’s proposed “Sursum Corda Cooperative Association Clarification Temporary Amendment Act of 2019”! We made it super easy with our fillable online form.
What is happening
- Councilmember Allen is introducing emergency legislation tomorrow (Tuesday, September 17) asking for a special exception to the Tree Canopy Protection Amendment Act of 2016.
- The bill is called the “Sursum Corda Cooperative Association Clarification Temporary Amendment Act of 2019”. It is emergency legislation that only requires a yes/no vote by the Council upon introduction.
What the emergency legislation says
- This bill will allow the Toll Brothers Development Company to remove all of the Heritage Trees on their Sursum Corda Housing Development site near North Capitol Street.
- Heritage Trees are large, mature trees that are 100 inches in circumference or more.
- The developer (Toll Brothers Development Company) will be paying $270,000 to compensate for the removal of the Heritage Trees.
Toll Brothers Development Company is a national development company that makes $5.8 billion a year in revenue and is a Fortune 500 company. These trees legally can not be removed without mayoral consent if they are healthy.
- If this emergency legislation passes, it opens the door for other developers to also ask for this special exception. Take Action! Protect D.C.’s Heritage Trees.
- This legislation also allows developers who were already told that they could not remove their Heritage Trees to go and ask for a special exception.
- Having the option for a legislative exception implies the current removal exceptions can be circumvented.
- Long term could remove the teeth from this law, passed in 2002 and fought for decades before that.
- Use our easy online form to tell your councilmember vote no on this emergency legislation! (Don’t know who your Councilmember is? Our form helps you find out!)
The Rose Experience: “The Inaugural Rose Experience event starting in the DMV at 12 Stories!!!! Tue, October 18, 2022, 6:00 PM – 10:00 PM 12 Stories 75 District Square Southwest…
“at 3:45 & B, where my Camp was!” For those interested in shirts, new ones will be available Nov. 3rd at our Happy Hour.
photo by Alex Huie Ed. Note: If this is you, please email [email protected] so I can put you in touch with OP. “Dear PoPville, So, this is a weird one:…
If you have any animal/pet photos you’d like to share please send an email to princeofpetworth(at)gmail(dot)com with ‘Animal Fix’ in the title and say the name of your pet and…