1316 9th Street, NW via San Lorenzo Ristorante + Bar
Faster than they thought!!
From a press release:
“A taste of Tuscany will arrive on 9th St. NW in the Shaw neighborhood of Washington, DC, when Chef Massimo Fabbri opens San Lorenzo Ristorante + Bar to the public on Monday, June 25.
Massimo Fabbri takes exceptional pride in presenting his culinary creations, and San Lorenzo — DC’s latest anticipated eatery, is his most personal and passionate endeavor yet, paying homage to Massimo’s family and hometown of Monsummano Terme in the Tuscan region of Italy.
When you step into San Lorenzo you’ll be transported to Italy — from the food and wine, to the cheerful, slightly cheeky attitude and the exquisite space. The menu will feature simple but elegant preparation of fine, fresh ingredients from the Tuscan region; the classic dishes with which Massimo grew up. The warm surroundings will feature layers of rich texture and elements of the Monsummano town crest.
via San Lorenzo Ristorante + Bar
San Lorenzo is named after Massimo’s favorite neighborhood in Florence – Borgo San Lorenzo, as well as his 4 year old son, who in turn is named for San (or Saint) Lorenzo, the patron saint of chefs. The martyr took on this mantle when, as he was burning to death on a grill as punishment for disobeying orders and giving away the treasures of the church to the poor, he joked, “Turn me over, I’m done on this side!”
The intimate (2000 sq. ft.) space was designed by SWATCHROOM to feel comfortable and familiar as if you are in Chef Fabbri’s home. The palette of cream, charcoal, warm golds, weathered greens and terracotta combine to create a soothing and refined environment inspired by the oxidized surfaces and materials you would find in the landscape of Tuscany. Warm wood beams float overhead while Florentine inspired patterned tiles in select locations beautifully accentuate the creamy distressed plaster and brick walls.
San Lorenzo offers three distinct experiences:
· The 36-seat main dining room features a pink Carrara marble table perfectly positioned in the front window under two beautiful vintage art deco Italian Murano glass pendants. On the side wall, above a custom 18 foot banquette, hangs a beautiful chandelier meant to replicate an olive tree branch created by DC artist Dan Gray of Dan Gray Studio. Thin steel rods contour and mimic the shape of a large tree limb, while actual tree branches found in nature trace this form; warm “firefly” lights bring a bit of whimsy and magic to the space! Framed photographs that offer a glimpse of daily life in Tuscany were created by Ray Lupo, a DC patent lawyer with a passion for traveling and taking pictures, who gifted them to Massimo for San Lorenzo. The five large-scale canvas prints above the wall of tables across from the bar are images of Massimo’s Tuscan hometown of Monsummano Terme at the turn of the century.
· The bar area features a custom-built library wall in warm gold to display liquor, glassware, and two televisions. Customers can enjoy drinks and dinner at the 14-seat, 28 ft. absolute black granite bar with leather-finish.
· A beautiful 16-seat private dining room, surrounded by upholstered panels and velvet drapes that highlight a large beach scene of Tuscany’s Viareggio, created by famed artist/photographer Massimo Vitali.
Massimo’s menu is an homage to “Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” – Leonardo da Vinci (15th C. Vinci, Tuscany). He will offer simple classic Tuscan and Italian recipes, which also showcase his 16 years in the kitchen at Tosca.
· PROSCIUTTO E GRISSINI: Imported prosciutto, fava beans, Tuscan breadsticks, Castello di Ama olive oil
· TONNO: Big eye tuna carpaccio, hearts of palm, chives, radish, persimmon vinaigrette
· PANZANELLA DI FINOCCHIO: Tuscan tomato-bread salad, cucumbers, fennel, red onion
· RUCOLA: Arugula salad, shaved sunchokes, Tuscan Pecorino, lemon dressing
· CALAMARI: Roasted calamari, shaved brussels sprouts, bell pepper puree
· FIORI DI ZUCCA: Deep fried squash blossoms, truffled goat cheese, tomato sauce, organic greens
· PAPPARDELLE: Tosca-style rabbit ragu, white wine, herbs, olive oil
· TORTELLI: Crown-shaped ravioli filled with Robbiola, black truffle, porcini mushroom sauce
· RISOTTO: Arborio Rice with Pecorino, mint and green peas
· CHITARRA: Squared guitar-string spaghetti with spicy tomato sauce, garlic, basil
· TAGLIERINI: Morel mushroom ragu, clams, artichokes, ramps, cherry tomato, white wine sauce
· BRANZINO ALL’ISOLANA: Roasted whole boneless branzino filled with potatoes, tomatoes, olives, fresh herbs
· CAPESANTE: Sautéed scallops, fava bean puree, chanterelle mushrooms, espelette olive oil
· ROSTICCIANA: Roasted Tuscan style pork ribs, sage, rosemary, cannellini beans, organic greens
· LA VERA TAGLIATA ALLA MAIALETTO (serves 2 ppl): Grilled T-bone steak, sliced, aromatic oil, sea salt, black pepper, sautéed spinach, grilled portobello mushrooms
· POLLO BIOLOGICO LOCALE: Roasted organic chicken breast, farro salad, organic chard, Brunello sauce
· CIOCCOLATO: Chocolate mascarpone cheesecake, chocolate-orange glaze, pistachios
· PANNA COTTA: Crème fraiche panna cotta, fresh strawberries, balsamic caramel
· CROSTATA: Summer fruit crostata, house made vanilla gelato
· GELATO: Ice Cream of the day
· SORBETTO: Sorbet of the day
· FORMAGGI: Selection of cheeses
SAN LORENZO SIGNATURE COCKTAILS
· GROTTA GIUSTI: Vodka, Strawberry, Tomato Water, Lemon
· MORANDI: Gin, Basil, Lemon Sorbet, Prosecco
· SUPERPESCA: Rum, Amaro, Ginger Beer, Lime
· VIA EMILIA: Mezcal, Aperol, Cocchi di Torino
· BAR STADIO: Bourbon, Orgeat, Lemon, Sangiovese
There will be five beers on tap, and three in bottles.
The carefully curated wine list will feature mainly Tuscan wines, many of which will be available by the glass.
Monday – Thursday: 5:30pm – 10:30pm
Friday and Saturday: 5:00pm – 11:00pm
Sunday: 5:00pm – 9:00pm
Reservations can be made online at Reserve.com.
Private Dining: San Lorenzo is able to accommodate parties of up to 16 people in a separate, private dining room.”