DDOT released the final 2017 Transit Development Plan and announced a public comment period and hearing on proposed major service changes. The major service changes involve reconfiguration of two routes and the addition of regular late-night service on Georgetown – Union Station. We are currently collecting feedback on these proposed changes and we’d love to hear from your audience. We are hosting a public hearing on January 4, 2018, and are collecting public comments through January, 19, 2018.”
Full press release after the jump.
“The District Department of Transportation (DDOT) released the final 2017 Transit Development Plan and announced a public comment period and hearing on proposed major service changes.
“We are excited to begin implementation of the Transit Development Plan,” said DDOT Acting Director Jeff Marootian. “The service changes are intended to better align our resources with growing activity centers that improve the reliability of the service.”
The major service changes involve reconfiguration of two routes and the addition of regular late-night service between McPherson Square and Union Station, as well as a proposed fare media change to eliminate the use of DC Circulator-exclusive paper passes. DDOT expects the proposals to be implemented in April 2018.
The public is invited to comment on the proposed service adjustments and proposed fare media adjustment at a public hearing, at the following location:
DATE: Thursday, January 4, 2018
TIME: 7 pm to 9 pm
PLACE: The Miracle Theatre | 535 8th Street SE | Washington, DC 20003
TRANSIT: DC Circulator (8th & G Street SE)
Union Station – Navy Yard Metro (US-NY)
Potomac Ave Metro – Skyland (PS)
Metrobus: 90, 92, 30N, 30S, 32, 34, 36, 39
Metrorail: Eastern Market Station (Blue/Orange/Silver)
Based on feedback from the DC Circulator 2017 Transit Development Plan Update, DDOT is formally proposing the following major service changes:
- Potomac Avenue Metro – Skyland (PS) Route – Realignment of route to serve Union Station and Congress Heights Metro via Barracks Row and Downtown Anacostia
- Potomac Avenue Metro – Skyland (PS) Route – Regular Saturday service from 7 am – 9 pm and new Sunday service 7 am – 9 pm
- Union Station – Navy Yard Metro (US-NY) Route – Realignment of route to serve Eastern Market Metro to L’Enfant Plaza Metro via Barracks Row, Navy Yard Metro, M Street SE/SW, and Waterfront Metro
- Union Station – Navy Yard Metro (US-NY) Route – Regular Saturday service from 7:00 AM – 9:00 PM and new Sunday service 7 am – 9 pm
- Georgetown – Union Station (GT-US) Route – Regular late-night service between McPherson Square and Union Station from 9 pm to 3 am on Friday and Saturday
- DDOT is also formally proposing the following fare media change:
- Elimination of unlimited-use paper passes that are valid only on DC Circulator. DC Circulator will continue to accept the unlimited Regional Bus Pass available on SmarTrip cards. No change is proposed to the base fare of $1 per trip.
The proposed major service adjustment plan and fare adjustment plan can be found at dccirculator.com/service-changes-2018. A hard copy of either document may also be obtained from the DDOT’s headquarters at 55 M Street SE, Washington, DC 20003, 4th floor. Please email [email protected] with “DC Circulator Major Service Adjustment Document Review” or “DC Circulator Fare Adjustment Document Review” in the subject line to arrange for pick-up.
Persons who wish to speak at the hearing may testify after signing up for a spot by visiting dccirculator.com/service-changes-2018 or by calling 202-671-2020. All presentations shall be limited to two minutes to accommodate as many speakers as possible.
The comment period on the major service change will last through Friday, January 19, 2018, and attending the public hearing is not required to submit a comment. All comments submitted in one of the following ways will be reviewed:
- Using the online comment form, found at dccirculator.com/service-changes-2018
- Using a paper comment form, found on DC Circulator buses. These can be left in the bags on buses or mailed to the address on the form.
- Speaking at the public hearing
- Filling out a paper comment form at the public hearing
- Emailing [email protected]
The major service changes to Potomac Avenue Metro – Skyland and Union Station – Navy Yard Metro were part of the 2017 Transit Development Plan (TDP) Update planning process. The final TDP document is available online at dccirculator.com/tdp2017.”