Photo by PoPville flickr user Eric P.
It’s time to bring back the Random Lists. So here goes – the best speakeasies in town:
23. DC Reynolds, the mullet of Georgia Ave, all business up front and party in the back.
22. ANXO – from zero to sixty in six seconds.
21. Whole Foods – a surprisingly good happy hour if soul means little to you.
20. Cafe Mozart – actually they are kinda hidden. You should check ’em out.
19. Daikaya – they are to Ramen what Zinedine Zidane is to soccer.
18. Hazel – remember when it was impossible to catch a cab after 9:30 club shows? Crazy. You gotta try their take on the Boulevardier. It is delicious.
RFD Fado – My jam before hitting the MCI Center.
16. Jack Rose – the space used to be a boxing gym. A freaking boxing gym. Insane. Good whiskey too.
15. Ivy & Coney – The best Chicago & Detroit mashup this side of the Potomac.
14. Meridian Pint – How was life before Table Taps?
13. Pho Viet – the broth is simply the best.
12. Wonderland – their collection of old signs is unparalleled.
11. Cafe St. Ex – “It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.”
10. Wiseguy Pizza – The best pizza by the slice by far. Even better than Vace.
9. Vace – still a pretty damn good slice of pizza.
8. Solly’s – every single bartender knows my drink(s).
7. The Pug – their tall cans have extra beer in them.
6. Nanny O’Briens – they introduced to me RAR beer, the 2nd greatest brewery in the USA.
5. Bread Furst – Ham and cheese on a baguette. Period.
4. Chez Billy Sud – the worst name but the best food.
3. Kochix – I only forgive them for painting over the mural because they were kicking these types of wings before it was cool to kick these types of wings.
2. Boundary Stone – the best commemorative t-shirts celebrating their events. Good whiskey too.
1. Red Derby – Rocking their peers, Puttin’ suckers in fear, Makin’ the tears rain down like a monsoon, Listen to the bass go boom.