91°Partly Cloudy

“Noise compliants – construction pile driving since midnight on 3 and H NE”

by Prince Of Petworth January 25, 2017 at 1:00 pm 14 Comments

night construction
Photo by PoPville flickr user Phil

“Dear PoPville,

How do I file a noise complaint with the city? Construction began around midnight on H and 3 NE – and is ongoing – it’s been very hard to sleep. They are dealing with very loud heavy machinery and it’s been significantly noisy even with shut windows and running fans. All information I see online is either for noise complaints for trash pick up or for ABRA related (bars/restaurants). Any help is appreciated! (please excuse any typos – it’s been a long night!)”

  • https://www.popville.com/2016/12/the-construction-on-columbia-road-in-adams-morgan-has-been-starting-at-about-630am-each-morning/

    Call DCRA. It’s illegal outside of 7-7 Mon-Sat without a special permit. It will help if you have an address for the construction. DCRA may direct you to call 911, which is absurd but apparently how the city deals with a lot of these complaints.

  • anon

    Talk to your ANC commissioner! http://anc6c.org/anc-6c-commissioners/

  • Anon

    You can call 911 and have a police officer respond, I’ve had to do this a number of times in the past for violations occurring outside of normal working hours/on weekends.

  • Ava16

    Pile driving might actually be the work of the devil. Forget waterboarding, just make captured terrorists listen to a pile driver for hours on end…
    (please note that this popville user does not actually condone torture)

  • BostonToShaw

    If you happen to live in a condo or apartment building, talk to your building manager. They should have a contact with the onsite construction management (if they don’t, they need to do this ASAP). We had this happen a couple weeks back, and my condo manager called the company the next day and we’ve had minimal noise outside 7a-7p since.

  • CrazyJohn

    The workers are doing a job, providing for their families, and improving the infrastructure in the area. Don’t like that? Buy a house in Siberia. No sympathy (fellow H Street resident). I have to go to Georgetown periodically for work and I’ve noticed a LOT of people blasting music at 3am. It’s absurd. If I didn’t know any better, I’d say you’re blasting music at 3am yourself! If you want to buy a multi-million dollar house, maybe find one with soundproofing if it’s that big of a deal.
    There are people in the neighborhood who have been against this project for years, and I believe the underlying reason for their evolving yet continuous opposition to this project has been an open secret for some time now. They demonized the developer for years, and it appears to me that when that didn’t work they decided to set their sights on the workers dear god will someone stop this madness.

    • minimalist

      No, the DCRA restricts construction to the hours of 7am to 7pm, Monday through Saturday.

    • JoDa

      This is performance art, right?

      • Anon

        It’s a cut and paste from yesterday’s comments on a similar post, which seem to be genuine.

  • Anonymous

    I’d start with checking to see if the construction site is exempted from the standard limit on working hours. Odds are that there is an exemption, which means that you are out of luck. I recall there being similar complaints made in Popville posts for construction in this general area.

    • dunning-kruger

      I’d be willing to bet money on it. Big projects on main arteries zoned commercial tend to be done at night.

  • eastof9

    Talk to your ANC. and DCRA. They shouldn’t be able to work past 7 p.m. unless it’s an emergency with a permit. Generally speaking though the city doesn’t care one bit about this and you need some voluntary cooperation. If all else fails, try the police.

  • OP

    Thanks for the suggestions – I’ve contacted DCRA, my ANC commissioner, plus the leasing office to register official complaints. It seems ridiculous to have to call 911 on construction after hours, but I guess I’ll do that too tonight, if it continues.

  • EMP

    You can check on DCRA’s permit status website to see if the address was granted an after hours work permit to work outside of the 7a-7p standard requirements. If not, then call the police.


Subscribe to our mailing list