Photo by PoPville flickr user John Boggan
I am a boring drinker. I mostly like the classics and beer. Props as always to The Pug and Solly’s who pour my John Powers Whiskey deep every single time. God help me. I’ll also take this opportunity to laud all Suntory Japanese Whiskey in general. It is delicious. Now, my friend James Kvaal is a prodigious cocktail drinker because he’s fancy like that. I also was desperate for something to post at 12:45pm today so without further ado, I give you THE definitive list of best places to get a cocktail in the District of Columbia (and one in VA) according to James Kvaal:
Ed. Note: Obvious omissions include Barmini, Wisdom, Dram & Grain, Macon Bisro, Copycat Co., Bar Pillar, Jos. A. Magnus & Co. tasting room. What else am I/James missing?
“1. Columbia Room. Killing it right now. Tasting menu is world class.
2. Gibson. Grand-daddy of DC cocktail places.
3. Quarter + Glory. First rate drinks. So-so ambiance though.
4. The Partisan. I love walking through the deli into the grand bar area. Awesome meat snacks of course.
5. Petworth Citizen/Reading Room. First rate cocktails in the back room. Solid and good value cocktails at the main bar.
6. PX. I’m assuming. Who goes to Virginia?
Ed. Note: I love Old Town Alexandria and those who refuse to visit are truly missing out.
7. The Denson. Great Art Deco ambiance.
8. The Royal. This place is a jack of all trades, but the cocktails deserve more attention. House-made vermouth.
9. 2 Birds 1 Stone. Great creative drinks. I have a bartender crush on Adam Bernbach. But can be loud.
10. Harold Black. I think. Haven’t been in forever.
11. Mockingbird Hill/Southern Efficiency/Eat the Rich. Great cocktails. These places aren’t lovable for some reason.
12. Estadio. I know it’s a restaurant but – really creative and tasty gin and tonics and slushes.
13. Room 11. Nice informal feel, great cocktails but not pretentious. Tasty food. Great patio.
14. McClellan’s Retreat. It’s a cocktail place.
15. Left Door. My cocktails lacked precision. The super expensive French 75 gimmick is kinda offensive.
16. Passenger. Good attention to cocktails in a neighborhood bar.”