From a press release:
“In the spirit of bringing people together outside, REI is offering free REI Outdoor School classes and outings the weekend of July 30-31st. There are opportunities for beginners and seasoned adventurers to rekindle a connection to the outdoors. Residents are encouraged to bring old friends, make new ones and be reminded of the power of getting outdoors together.
REI is hosting its most popular classes for the free weekend of adventures, including:
· Learn to Stand Up Paddleboard (SUP) and at Pohick Bay Regional Park (Shore Launch) and Seneca Creek State Park Clopper Lake (Boat Center) – Learn what you need to know to get started in the exciting sport of Stand Up Paddleboarding. We’ll teach you proper stance, paddling strokes, and balance on the board. You’ll get on the water instruction and practice. All equipment included.
· Kayak Tour of the DC Monuments at Columbia Island Marina – With a river lined by monuments, museums, historic neighborhoods, and national parks, downtown DC is certainly one of the most beautiful cityscapes in North America. Escape the crowds and experience the beauty and splendor of our Nation’s Capital from the best spot in town – the cockpit of a kayak!
· Introduction to Outdoor Rock Climbing Class – Level 1 at C & O Canal National Historical Park Carderock – Learn basic Climbing skills and technique including specialized equipment use, proper fit of specialized equipment, site safety, knot tying, belay technique, basic climbing technique. This course is designed for new climbers or gym trained climbers looking to transition to the outdoor experience.
· REI Free Weekend Celebration at Patapsco Valley State Park, C and O Canal Angler’s, Lake Lawson/Lake Smith, Belle Isle Skills Park and Great Shiplock Park – Join REI to learn new skills, make new friends, and be reminded that we can all find common ground in the outdoors.
· FULL LIST WITH DETAILS HERE.”