Photo by PoPville flickr user ianseanlivingston
Update from SafeDC:
“The Tornado Watch for the District has been canceled by the National Weather Service.”
“The National Weather Service has issued a TORNADO WATCH for the District of Columbia effective immediately until 5pm.
· Be prepared. Tornadoes can form from severe thunderstorms with little or no advanced warning.
· Know your safe room in your home, at school, and at work.
· Remain alert for the issuance of warnings.
· The safest place to be during a tornado is in a basement.
· Fit under a work bench or other piece of sturdy furniture.
· If no basement is available, seek shelter on the lowest floor in a hallway or closet.
· Use blankets or pillows to cover your body and always stay away from windows.
· Evacuate mobile homes and vehicles immediately.
· Do not use highway overpasses as shelters.
· If no shelter is available, lie flat in the nearest ditch or other low spot and cover your head with your hands.
· Do not wait to hear or see this tornado before you take action.
· Tornadoes that form at night and those that are rain wrapped may not be visible.”