Photo by PoPville flickr user clif_burns
“The Alcoholic Beverage Control Board (Board) will decide on a petition for a moratorium on the issuance of liquor licenses in the District’s U St. corridor at a public hearing tomorrow.
WHEN: 1-1:30 p.m., Wednesday, Oct. 2
WHERE: Alcoholic Beverage Regulation Administration Hearing Room
Frank D. Reeves Municipal Center
2000 14th St., NW, Suite 400 S., 4th Floor
BACKGROUND: The Shaw-Dupont Citizens Alliance requested a five-year moratorium on the issuance of liquor licenses in an area extending 1,800 feet in radius from Ben’s Next Door located at 1211 U St., NW. The petition requested the Board:
· Prohibit the issuance of all new alcoholic beverage licenses, except licenses to sell beer and wine (class B) at full service grocery stores;
· Prohibit the transfer of licenses into the moratorium zone;
· Place a cap on the number of nightclub licenses at zero;
· Place a cap on the number of tavern licenses at ten; and
· Prohibit the expansion of existing licensees into adjoining spaces, properties or lots.
The Board held a public hearing on the petition on May 22 and received written comments until May 24. Members of the public can view the petition online.”