Photo by PoPville flickr user Black Stove
The ongoing effort to rebuild and upgrade the Metrorail system to provide safer and more reliable service will continue over the weekend of February 22-24, 2013, on the Red, Orange and Green lines. The work will begin at 10 p.m. Friday and continue through system closing on Sunday.
• Free shuttle buses will replace Orange Line trains between Vienna and Ballston to allow for signal system integration with the new Silver Line extension.
• Four stations will be closed: Vienna, Dunn Loring, West Falls Church and East Falls Church.
• Orange Line trains will operate normally, at regular weekend intervals, between Ballston and New Carrollton.
• Shuttle bus service between Vienna and Ballston will operate on two routes: Express buses will operate between Vienna and Ballston only; customers should add 25 minutes of additional travel time. Local buses will run between Vienna and Ballston serving all intermediate stops; customers should add up to 50 minutes of travel time.
• Red Line trains will single track in two work zones: between Friendship Heights and Van Ness to allow for track, fastener and insulator renewal, and between Takoma and Rhode Island Avenue to allow for platform reconstruction and rail joint elimination for a smoother ride.
• Throughout the weekend, trains between Shady Grove and Glenmont will operate every 24 minutes in each direction.
• On Saturday and Sunday, between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. each day, additional trains will operate between Van Ness and NoMa-Gallaudet, resulting in service about every 12 minutes between those stations.
• Customers traveling through either work zone should allow about 20 minutes of additional travel time.
Previously announced track work this weekend on the Green Line has been cancelled; Green Line service will operate normally. Work will take place on the Red and Orange lines only.