Dear PoPville – Anyone Know About Receiving in-state tuition rates for DC residents?

by Prince Of Petworth October 17, 2012 at 2:30 pm 58 Comments

Photo by PoPville flickr user ekelly80

Dear PoPville,

Recently I’ve had the urge to continue my education pursue a Ph.D in economics. I am a nine-year resident of DC and have no desire to leave the District for my education. At the same time I work full-time and need to remain employed to sustain my mortgage payments, bills etc. For this reason I will not be eligible for research or teaching assistantships. There are a few programs I am interested in, but I can’t afford private schools in DC nor out-of-state tuition.

Has anyone in the community been successful in receiving in-state tuition rates at one of the areas public universities (UMD, GMU)? I have started to investigate this, but have learned that DC residents don’t have reciprocity in public universities in the metro area.

I have learned about the DCTAG grant funded by the DC gov, but this is only available for undergraduate studies.

Any collective information from POPville on this subject would be helpful.



Subscribe to our mailing list