Photo by PoPville flickr user Eric Spiegel
The ongoing effort to rebuild and upgrade the Metrorail system to provide safer and more reliable service will continue over the weekend of September 14-16, 2012, on the Red, Orange, Blue and Green lines. The work will begin at 10 p.m. Friday and continue through system closing on Sunday.
• Red Line trains will single track through two work zones: between Van Ness and Friendship Heights to allow for rail and fastener maintenance, and between NoMa-Gallaudet and Fort Totten for platform rehabilitation, structural repairs and DDOT bridge work. Throughout the weekend, Red Line trains will operate between Shady Grove and Glenmont every 20 minutes. Customers should allow about 15 minutes of additional travel time.
• Orange Line trains will single track between Vienna and West Falls Church to allow for tie and insulator renewal and track maintenance. Throughout the weekend, trains will operate between Vienna and New Carrollton every 20 minutes. Customers should allow about 10 minutes of additional travel time.
• Blue Line trains will single track between Stadium-Armory and Morgan Boulevard to allow for repairs to the floating concrete slabs beneath the rails for a smoother ride. Throughout the weekend, trains will operate between Franconia-Springfield and Largo Town Center every 24 minutes. Customers should allow about 15 minutes of additional travel time.
• On the Green Line, buses will replace trains at Greenbelt Station only as crews replace ties and improve track conditions. Green Line trains will operate normally, at regular weekend intervals, between College Park and Branch Avenue. Customers traveling to or from Greenbelt Station only should allow 20 minutes of additional travel time for shuttle bus service.
• There is no scheduled work this weekend on the Yellow Line. Trains will operate normally between Huntington and Fort Totten.