39°Mostly Cloudy

“Maryland Men Sentenced to More Than Seven Years in Prison Each For Their Roles in Home Invasion”

by Prince Of Petworth June 14, 2012 at 1:30 pm 30 Comments

View Larger Map

So scary.

From a press release:

Laquet Campbell, 21, and Eddie Griffin, 25, both of Hyattsville, Md., were sentenced today to prison terms for their roles in an armed home invasion that took place last year in Northwest Washington, U.S. Attorney Ronald C. Machen Jr. announced.

Campbell, Griffin, and a third defendant, Rayvon Jones, 20, pled guilty in April 2012, in the Superior Court of the District of Columbia, to first-degree burglary while armed and possession of a firearm during a crime of violence. Campbell and Griffin were sentenced by the Honorable Ann O’Regan Keary. Jones, of Greenbelt, Maryland, is to be sentenced on July 10, 2012.

Griffin received concurrent sentences of 96 months incarceration for the burglary and 60 months incarceration for the firearm count. Campbell received concurrent sentences of 90 months incarceration for the burglary and 60 months incarceration for the firearm count. Both men also received sentences of five years supervised release to follow their prison terms.

According to the government’s evidence, on September 15, 2011, at about 10 a.m., Campbell, Griffin and Jones drove a U-Haul truck into the District of Columbia with the intent to burglarize the victims’ home, located in the 500 block of Rock Creek Church Road NW.

The men entered the home armed with a weapon, and assaulted the two victims in their bedrooms. Jones, who was armed with a firearm that the victim described as a shotgun, followed Campbell into the first victim’s bedroom. After Campbell pushed this victim onto his bed, Jones placed the weapon at the back of the victim’s neck and demanded money. Both Campbell and Jones then removed two laptops, two iPhones, a blue duffel bag, and a pair of blue and white Jordan sneakers from the bedroom.

Griffin, meanwhile, entered the second victim’s bedroom. After forcing this victim to the floor, and striking him in the back of the head, Griffin removed two laptop computers and one iPhone from the bedroom.

Before they left the house, the defendants took additional items, including a 32-inch flat-screen television located in the living room area.

When the three men were arrested later in Hyattsville, the police located two laptop computers, one of which was later identified as belonging to the second victim. In addition, the police recovered a debit card from the pocket of Campbell, with the second victim’s name printed on the card. The police also recovered the first victim’s stolen phone from Griffin’s pants pocket, and the first victim’s stolen blue-and-white Jordan sneakers, as well as the 32-inch, flat-screen television taken from the victims’ residence, from Campbell’s apartment,

In announcing the sentence, U.S. Attorney Machen commended the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) for its work on the investigation. He also expressed appreciation for the assistance provided by the Prince George’s County Police Department for its assistance during this investigation. U.S. Attorney Machen also thanked Paralegal Assistant Debra McPherson for her work on this case. Finally, he acknowledged the work of Assistant U.S. Attorney Vivien Cockburn, from the Fourth District Unit of the Superior Court Felony Major Crimes Section, who prosecuted this case.


Subscribe to our mailing list