I’ve started to get emails from readers asking about the MPD police presence around Crittenden and NH Ave, NW. I just got off the phone with Council Member Bowser who was able to share some details:
1. The incident happened around 4pm.
2. 911 received a phone call about a man walking with a gun around NH and Delafield
3. MPD on the scene pulls up to suspect matching description
4. When officer begins to exit car, man shoots at officer
5. Not clear if officer was shot or injured by glass but he is currently being treated
6. Officers apprehend suspect and gun is recovered.
More info as it becomes available.
From 4-D Cmdr Chisley-Missouri:
“Around 4pm, units received a call for a man with a gun in the area of 3rd and Delafield Pl NW. A male suspect who fit the description given to officers was located at New Hampshire Ave and Emerson St NW. The suspect fired a gun at an officer and then attempted to flee the scene on foot. The suspect was apprehended near New Hampshire Ave and Decatur St NW and taken into custody. The identity of the suspect is not known at this time and the officer is being treated for a non-life threatening injury. Currently, the 4800 blk of New Hampshire Ave is closed to vehicular and pedestrian traffic as we continue to investigate. If anyone observed this activity, please call 1-888-919-CRIME. I will keep the community advised with significant updates.”