I love this event. From a press release:
New this year is the ‘Take Me Out to the Opera Songwriting Contest,’ which gave fans the opportunity to write original, opera-inspired lyrics to the traditional baseball tune for a chance to have their song performed live and win exclusive prize packages. The winner will be announced during the “Seventh Aria Stretch” (i.e., the second intermission) and will lead the entire stadium in song.
Target FREE Opera in the Outfield is free and open to the public. Seating will be available throughout the ballpark, including on the outfield and in the stands. While reservations are not required, fans are encouraged to reserve their spot by the Wednesday evening deadline. For more information on the simulcast and to make a reservation, visit www.OperaintheOutfield.org.
Fans attending the event should be aware of the following restrictions:
– Only soft-sided coolers smaller than 16 x 16 x 9 inches and containing individual-size serving food will be allowed
– No alcohol will be allowed inside the gates of the ballpark
– No chairs will be allowed inside the gates of the ballpark
– No strollers or wheelchairs are allowed on the grass of the field
– No throwing items on the field
WHEN: Sunday, September 19
Gates Open: 12:00 p.m.
Simulcast Begins: 2:00 p.m.
WHERE: Nationals Park – 1500 South Capitol Street, SE Washington, DC 20003