Washington, DC

View Larger Map

“Dear PoP,

Do you know if there is anything that can be done regarding overhanging branches from a private yard? I’m thinking specifically of the large overgrown tree on the corner of 11th and Columbia Rd, NW which interferes with the bus stop, as well as pedestrian traffic, especially in bad weather. Since it’s private property, is there anything the city, or neighbors can do?”

This is an interesting question. I believe if the branches overhang a neighbors property the neighbor is allowed to trim back the branches from their property line. But this is different because it seems the branches are overhanging public property. I wonder if WMATA would be in charge of trimming it back if it interferes with the bus stop? Could the city trim it back or have the owner trim it back?

Any suggestions?


Subscribe to our mailing list