Coming back from New York Sunday morning I was saddened to hear the news that the Argonaut, 1433 H Street, NE, had experienced a fairly severe fire. The owners write on The Argonaut’s blog:
* Nobody was in The Argonaut at the time, and nobody got hurt.
* We don’t know who called 911 this morning, but whoever you are, thank you from the bottoms of our hearts. Because of your call, the fire department was able to get there before the damage (which is very extensive, but pretty much only in the kitchen and bar area) was able to spread.
* Most of you may not know this, but our kitchen used to be an alley. Which means that the wall separating the kitchen and the bar is an “outside wall” and is several layers of brick. We are very thankful for that brick wall – it helped contain the fire.
* And thanks so much to the DC Fire Department. Seeing the kitchen, it really hit home about what they actually have to do. I cannot imagine having to walk inside what I can only imagine was an inferno…
* And thanks to Nancy & Graham, and Bill, Liz, Mika & Eila for watching Ara for the first part of the day. Thankfully, I had the good sense not to bring my toddler to a fire and they were ready, willing, and able to help! (And thanks to everybody else who offered to watch her…)
You can see photos of the damage inside and learn about their next steps here.
photo by Lee M.. You can talk about whatever is on your mind – quality of life issues, a beautiful tree you spotted, scuttlebutt, or any random questions/thoughts you may…
From Atlas (tickets here): “From 12- 5pm, enjoy all beers for $5, a variety of food trucks, live music, and a dunk tank with proceeds going to charity. Your $20…
Thanks to Terry for sending this boat I mean beaut!
Photo by Jennifer Ed. Note: If this was you, please email [email protected] so I can put you in touch with OP. “Dear PoPville, Sunday morning in Rock Creek, my friend…
District Cutlery is celebrating their 10th and 11th anniversaries this week (we forgot last year) and offering customers 25% off all sharpening services. Walk-in service at Union Market is welcome or you can make arrangements for mail-in service on their website. Typical turn-around is less than an hour (but sometimes the queue gets long).
DMV’s professional chefs and passionate home cooks have trusted the District Cutlery with their knives for over 10 years. You can see pictures of their work @districtcutlery Instagram. They also specialize in sharpening styling shears, scissors and smaller garden tools and axes.
Girls in Gear is a Non-Profit that teaches girls age 5+ life skills through bike skills. We aim to get your girl to fall in love with herself, her friends, and her bike! Registration is open across the DMV for our eight-week program that starts the weekend of September 23rd. Programming runs for 90 minutes once a week on a weekend morning.
All abilities of riders – balance bikes, training wheels, two wheels, road-bike pros and everything in between – are welcome. We are non-competitive and focus on having fun no matter what your level of riding is. We pride ourselves in being a low-cost program and also have a no-questions-asked scholarship policy that includes bikes and helmets if needed.
DMV Sites Fall 2023:
Independence permeates every step of the immigrant journey. It may have motivated the move or could be a result of it, but regardless, self-discovery is inextricably tied to the experience.
In this storytelling night, just days after Nigeria’s Independence Day,