Dear PoP – What is a Unit Block?

by Prince Of Petworth May 19, 2010 at 9:05 pm 18 Comments

“Dear PoP,

Have you already addressed why so many street signs have a little green tag at the bottom that says UNIT when it is not the 400 block or 500 block or whatever …. why bother with the UNIT designation?”

This is a great question. Unit block is designated for blocks where the house numbers are less than 100. For example T Street between 1st Street and North Capitol is a called the Unit block of T St. From 1st to 2nd street is called the 100 block of T St, between 2nd and 3rd is called the 200 block of T St, etc. Unit blocks occur on both sides of North Capitol NE and NW and you will also see them in Circles like Logan Circle, Grant Circle etc.

Do you guys know how this originated? Was it for emergency response purposes?


Subscribe to our mailing list