From the Forum – Have you been in a car accident with a Secret Service agent?

Photo by PoPville flickr user Mr.TinDC

Have you been in a car accident with a Secret Service agent?

“I am wondering if anyone here has been in a car accident with a secret service agent and, if so, if you can share your experience with me.

In January of this year, my boyfriend and I were rear-ended by a secret service agent. A police officer came to the scene and wrote up a police report wherein it was noted that the accident was not our fault. We were rear-ended while stopping at a red light and the agent, who was following too closely behind us, hit the back of our car. Our bumper was seriously damaged but the car was drivable.

We were told that The Agency would contact us in a few weeks to arrange for repairs.

Now, it’s July. We have called and e-mailed again and again, but nothing has happened. The bumper is nearly falling off of our car. The estimates for getting it fixed are upwards of $900.

We just want our car to be repaired and to hopefully be reimbursed for the damage.

Have you been hit by a secret service agent? Were you ever reimbursed? What did you do?

Any help is so appreciated.”

You can see all forum topics and add your own here. If you are having trouble uploading your question please email me at princeofpetworth(at)gmail Please Note this is NOT an events calendar.

31 Comment

  • did you report it to your insurance? This is part of the reason that they are there – they have lawyers who are paid to get things like this taken care of.

    • DC1

      Most insurance companies will raise your premiums even if you are not at fault. It is usually best to contact the at fault insurance company directly unless the insured party denies fault, then it is a good idea to involve your insurance company for legal services and repairs.

      • That has not been my experience. In college I was in a “no fault” accident. My insurance paid the claim, but they fought the other insurance company to pay for it. They never paid for it, but my insurance never went up.

      • Maybe if you have many not at fault accidents, but I don’t think most companies penalize you for being rear ended since they’ll get their money back from the other company.
        Two not at fault accidents back to back, and my premium dropped fwiw.
        Let your insurance company handle this one. It may take a while, but you should be reimbursed for your deductible.

  • DC1

    Did the Officer that wrote the report made you both exchange insurance information? Best bet is to contact their insurance information directly and not the “agency”. If that fails you should talk to your insurance company and have them deal with them.

  • Your insurance should be fighting this for you. Your insurance pays for it and then they deal with getting the money back. Dealing with the government in a matter like this sounds like a nightmare.

  • You will probably also want to contact your member of Congress (assuming you live in DC, that would be Norton). While I’m sure this will be laughed at, this is one of the reasons they exist: to help their constituents navigate dealing with executive branch agencies. Also, it should wake DOC and the Secret Service up that they need to do something about this.

    • I wholeheartedly second this suggestion. I am sure EHN’s staff would be eager to help out–she has been especially agitated by the recent antics of the agency lately.

  • Sue the SS.

  • Did you happen to get the agent’s name, license plate, any other pieces of identifying data? Because I get the impression he ‘forgot’ to report the accident. At this point I would be following up with his supervisor directly.

  • If the police report has license plate and agent’s name in the report, your insurance company has all the information to go after them. You may have to pay the deductible in the meantime, but you will get reimbursed when insurance company gets the money from the secret service.

  • Why don’t you just repair the car already so that your bumper is not falling off. You can still make the claim to get your money back from them even if it is already repaired. You do not have to wait for them to fix your car.

  • Well, you could always call the Secret Service and tell them that you are just a girl in town from Cartagena looking for a good time. You’d probably get a call back, at the very least.

  • Federal agencies do not have insurance because the U.S. government self-insures. You’ll need to file a claim with the Secret Service directly pursuant to the Federal Tort Claims Act. They’ll have six months to decide the claim, and if they deny it and/or it’s unsatisfactory to you, you then can sue.

    • U.S. Secret Service (USSS), Office of the Chief Counsel. The Chief Counsel for USSS is Donna L. Cahill. The responsibilities of the USSS Chief Counsel include providing legal advice to the Director and other senior Secret Service leaders on legal issues associated with the Secret Service protective and investigative missions, and its administrative responsibilities, as well as providing support to the DOJ in their defense of claims against the Secret Service and its employees; preparing comments on proposed legislation, draft testimony, and policy; directing the agency’s ethics program; reviewing documents related to assets forfeiture; making determinations concerning the release of information under the FOIA, the Privacy Act, civil/criminal discovery, subpoena or other request; and representing the Secret Service in administrative hearings.

    • Thanks for this. I was about to answer similarly and you saved me the time of looking up the direct link for the USSS contact.

      I’ve personally worked claims for auto damage against an agency. If your claim is legit, they shouldn’t give you much hassle.

  • I was hit by a secret service agent while riding my bike in a bike lane. My situation is different because my car insurance isn’t involved. I think other posters are right that your car insurance should be helping. I learned that the Secret Service is “self-insured” which in my case has meant the whole thing is a much bigger hassle than if I could just call Allstate or some corporate insurance company.

    I googled “Secret Service” and called their public relations office number on the website and explained the situation and got told to call various other numbers until I got to a guy who told me to fill out a form and send it certified mail to a specific address. Get the name of the guy who hit you off the police report before calling because I needed that in my journey through the various calls.

    But seriously, in my opinion, let your car insurance company deal with it, because based on my experience, no way are you getting money from the Secret Service to repair your car as soon as you probably feel it should be repaired.

  • You need to file an administrative claim immediately. Depending what day in January, you may already be too late. Google for a form SF-95.

  • You will have to pay the deductible yourself and then file a claim with the US Government (probably the Secret Service) to get your deductible reimbursed. Your insurance will pay the rest…..had an accident a few years back with a military vehicle (not my fault) and this is what I had to do.

  • I was hit by a Secret Service employee (not 100% sure an agent, but that was his employer for sure and he was driving one of their cars, so) and it took FOREVER. FOREVER EVER EVER. It was nearly a year before we got our payment. I reported it to my insurance and let them haggle, but I was still out the deductible for that amount of time.

  • I’m pretty sure conservative blogger Jim Treacher over at the Daily Caller was run over by a Secret Service agent who made a turn against a red light somewhere downtown. This was many years ago (2009 or 2010), and he wrote about it extensively on the website. You might read back through the archives and consider contacting him — I imagine he would be sympathetic.

  • Perhaps you should ask the White House gate?

  • hello i work for a major insurance company. just file a clm with your our insurance. you would have to pay you collision dec at 1st and what you ins co would do is try to subrogate for you to get the deductible back. your insurance premium should not go up since the repairs would be less than $1000. it wold also depend in your accident record 2

  • I’m curious (and don’t mean to take a victim blaming tone) – was this a “lights on, sirens on” situation? Or just a normal “off duty” SS vehicle, so to speak? I’m assuming the former.

Comments are closed.