Community Clean Ups in All 8 Wards Saturday part of the Mayor’s “Reaching Effective Solutions Using Lasting Tactics and Strategies or the R.E.S.U.L.T.S. Initiative”

Photo by PoPville flickr user Mr.TinDC

From the Mayor’s Office:

“Tomorrow, the Mayor’s Office of Community Relations and Services (MOCRS) in partnership with Serve DC, will conduct community clean-ups in all 8 wards. Participation in clean-ups are open to the public. Community clean-ups will close out this week’s #SpringIntoAction campaign, part of the recently launched Reaching Effective Solutions Using Lasting Tactics and Strategies or the R.E.S.U.L.T.S. Initiative. The initiative is part of Mayor Bowser’s plan to deliver a fresh start for District residents by proactively improving coordination between government agencies, residents, businesses and other community stakeholders.

WHO: Mayor’s Office of Community Relations and Services (MOCRS)
WHAT: R.E.S.U.L.T.S. Community Clean-ups

Location: Eastern Senior High School – 1700 E. Capitol Street, SE

Ward 7 Community Clean Up
9:00 a.m. – Saturday, March 21st
Location: Marvin Gaye Greening Center – 5100 Nannie Helen Burroughs Avenue, NE

Ward 8 Community Clean Up
10:00 a.m. – Saturday, March 21st
Location: Corner of MLK and Malcolm X Avenue, SE”

18 Comment

• I was reading an article last night about the Mayor’s Office of Community Relations and Services (MOCRS) and snickering to myself because it made me think of Ringo in “A Hard Day’s Night”: “Are you a mod or a rocker?” “Um, no. I’m a mocker.”

• Can we also teach the community on where to put their garbage? I see so many people just throw their trash on the ground. How can you expect people to respect your community when you treat it like that.

• Supposedly April is Litter Prevention Month. We need WAY more anti-litter efforts — education, enforcement, everything.
      I am kind of skeptical of these “community cleanup” events. I’ve never gone to an organized community cleanup… because I was usually spending that time picking up litter on my own block instead. (Until I gave myself tendinitis with my grabber device and had to scale way back.)

• binpetworth

At first I read that as Loiter Prevention Month, which got me thinking that, at least on my block, there’s a strong correlation between the two…but I agree with you on the second point. If you’ve ever hung out on my street, you’d know why I call community clean-up day “Saturday.”

• Actually, I misremembered — April is supposed to be Litter _Enforcement_ Month.
          Yeah, definitely quite a bit of correlation between loitering (which isn’t illegal) and littering (which is).

• Where I live the community generally does use trash cans. The commuters, on the other hand…

• So Bowser’s plan to clean up the city involves setting up an initiative to basically get the residents to clean up their own city. Splendid.

• The trash isn’t throwing itself on the ground. Nor was the trash blowing down my street and in my front yard placed there by the mayor or any DC government agency. I think if there’s any “issue” for which residents are both the cause and the solution, this might be it. I agree with Kingman Park’s comment.
      Admittedly though the residents who volunteer to help clean up are undoubtedly not the same residents who put the trash there in the first place.

• A lot of the time, the trash IS throwing itself on the ground. The corner cans fill up and aren’t emptied, and the wind blows the trash right out.
        So I’m with DC above… the city needs to dedicate more resources than just the 15 minutes it took to write a press release to tell the taxpayers do it themselves. We need better trash cans, more frequently emptied. How about some training for the street sweepers, who I have seen actually SWERVE around rubbish in the street.

• I wonder how many meetings about meetings to get everyone in the room to discuss the strategy for meeting development meetings she had to come up with that acronym.

• Yeah, seems like they should have spent more time coming up with a better acronym for MOCRS and less time coming up with the one for RESULTS.

• can we stop with the “All 8 wards” BS. It is getting tiring.

• I’m going to mine in order to meet some like-minded neighbors and see if anyone is interested in keeping the community clean-ups going independently. Sadly, picking up litter in my neighborhood alone usually attracts some vulgar street harassment so the buddy system it is.

• Ahh, that’s a good idea (going to meet like-minded neighbors).

• I live in Lamond Riggs neighborhood and they do their own independent clean up each year with a small neighborhood party once the clean up commences. It is a nice event and should hopefully help get some of the piles of trash that are thrown around the 7-11 at the corner of Kansas and N Cap cleaned up

• Thank you, good people. I am not alone in neither my experience nor sentiment. I have nothing to add as you fine people hit all my points.

• Nice to see the Soviet tradition of the Subbotnik has come to the District.

• I am also going to mine to meet like-minded people. So tiring and frustrating to clean up my block alone. A lot of these condo townhouse conversions don’t have management companies to keep condo fees low and so that just means no one sweeps or shovels or cares. Ugh.

Comments are closed.