One of the biggest obstacles first time home buyers face is coming up with the down payment on the loan which can be in the tens of thousands of dollars.
The good news is that there are numerous down payment assistance programs available in the D.C. metro area that provide grants and/or no interest loans to help with down payments. The programs do come with some income restrictions, but the caps have risen steadily over the years making the programs available to a wider segment of buyers.
Here are the most common down payment assistance programs:
- DC Open Doors: D.C. sponsored zero percent interest loan program that offers qualified buyers home purchase loans and down payment assistance. Maximum income limit is $151,200 with a maximum 1st trust loan limit of $548,250. No purchase price limit. D.C. purchases only.
- Employer Assisted Housing Program (EAHP): Offers up to $5,000 matching down payment grant plus a deferred loan of $20,000 for closing costs and down payment. Buyer must be a full time D.C. government employee and for D.C. purchases only.
- Home Purchase Assistance Program (HPAP): $80,000 maximum assistance towards down payment based on family size and income level. Additional closing cost assistance available up to $4,000. Maximum 1st trust loan limit of $510,400. D.C. purchases only.
- Maryland Mortgage Program (MMP): Multiple Maryland programs including grants up to 4% of the loan amount, 0% interest deferred loans up to $25,000, student debt payoff and below market interest options. Maryland purchases only.
- Virginia Housing Development Authority (VHDA): Multiple Virginia programs including grants for down payment and closing cost assistance up to 2.5% of the sales price, 0% interest deferred loans and below market interest options. Virginia purchases only.
Real estate markets are hyper-localized. If you want to know what the market looks like in your neighborhood, reach out and consult one of our Realtors. Or learn more ways for Buyers to get an edge on our Home Buyer Tips Blog.
Great news from MPD: “Hendrix has been located and reunited with their owner!” Update from MPD:
Thanks to David for sending this Sweet Mustang in “Commanders colors” Sweet City Ride is made possible by readers like you!
Thanks to Kristen for sending this great shot from the Gateway Arch! If you get a photo with any of your shirt/merch on your travels – please send a photo…
If you have any animal/pet photos you’d like to share please send an email to princeofpetworth(at)gmail(dot)com with ‘Animal Fix’ in the title and say the name of your pet and…
You are cordially invited to the Embassy of Austria for a thrilling evening with Mozart. What a better way to spend Christmas and Hannukah! Our full orchestra and lead singers, some of whom sing at the Met, will appeal to teens as they begin their journey to the classics! We expect to be sold out soon…..
Get your tickets now!
Under the Gracious Patronage of H.E. Petra Schneebauer, Ambassador of Austria
Julien Benichou, Conductor
Kevin Short as Figaro
Manna K. Jones as Susanna
Stephen Powell as Count Almaviva
Laquita Mitchell as Contessa
Anna Kelly as Cherubino
Maggie Polglaze as Barbarina
John Gibney as Bartolo
Leah Heater as Marcellina
Christopher Jon Hartung as Antonio & Don Curzio
Narration provided by Robin Phillips
Embassy of Austria
3524 International Court NW
Washington, DC 20008
Doors Open/Cocktails 6:30 pm
Performance including Intermission 7:15 pm
Wine Reception with Heavy Hors d’oeuvres 9:15 to 10:30 pm
Box Seats $250
Orchestra Reserved $150
Seniors (over 65 years old) Unreserved $80 [sold out]
Students with ID $50
Come solve a crime that took place in Takoma Park 130 years ago!
HouseMouse Books and Vintage is excited to announce the debut of Escape the Bookshop II, our new limited-run escape room experience. Escape the Bookshop II is a unique group puzzle game that is based on a real crime that took place in Takoma Park around 130 years ago. It is designed and created by HouseMouse to be played in our atmospheric little bookshop. This is not your typical corporate escape room and makes for a memorable evening out with friends or family!
Bookings are now open for game dates in January through April 2024. The game generally takes place Wednesday through Saturday at 8 PM but special arrangements can be made upon request. It is designed to be played by a group of 3 to 6 people (ages 16+) and lasts for one hour. No prior escape room experience is needed to enjoy the game.
Join us at Spirits & Spice DC Store as we embark on a spirited journey with the co-owner of the Mount Pleasant Club Whiskey.
Brace yourselves for an unforgettable whiskey-tasting experience where we’ll not only indulge in the smoothness of