3400 Georgia Avenue, NW
From an email:
“Join us for the inaugural Park View Pinewood Derby. A Pinewood Derby is a racing event for unpowered, unmanned, handmade miniature cars. Traditionally just for kids, this is a Pinewood Derby for all ages – young and young at heart! Buy a kit, design and craft your car, and bring it to compete on our race track! We’ll have prizes for the fastest cars as well as People’s Choice awards for most the most creative design.
All proceeds will benefit NCAC Scouts in DC.
- What is a Pinewood Derby? Not to be confused with boxcars, pinewood derby cars are unpowered, unmanned, handmade miniature cars. You start with a simple kit like this, design and decorate your car, and then bring it to the derby to race down a 32′ ramp.
- Who can compete? Pinewood Derbies are famously organized for children by Scout troops, but this is a community Pinewood Derby for all ages! Young and young at heart are encouraged to participate!
- Will there be prizes? Absolutely! The fastest cars will win a awards, and we’ll also have a people’s choice competition for the best, most creative design. Here’s some inspiration from last year’s derby in Nashville.
- Are there rules? Of course. All the length, width, and weight requirements are outlined on the Eventbrite page here.
- I’m not handy or crafty, can I still come? The more car competitors the merrier, but spectators are highly encouraged. Please just register for a free spectator ticket here, so we know to expect you!
- Where did you procure the equipment to pull this off? Great question! I spent some serious time this summer stalking people involved with local scouting organizations and finally found an enthusiastic partner at the NCAC Scouts in DC. Thanks to their generosity of time and equipment, we’ll donate all proceeds to Scouts in the DC area. I couldn’t be more excited to partner with the Scouts in celebration of the year that they officially let girls join the program!”