This weekly column is written and sponsored by D.C. real estate agent and Edgewood resident Jessica Evans. Email her questions at [email protected].
Tired of hearing about homes selling in less than a week and multiple offer scenarios? Me too. So let’s explore the other end of the spectrum today and take a look at a few homes that have defied the odds and continue to remain actively listed, after a year (or more).
Homes that last on the market for a long time and have a high number of days on market can tend to be overlooked by buyers who remain focused on the newest listings, but they can also present great opportunities (and have way better negotiation prospects than new listings).
2620 Moreland Place NW — Chevy Chase DC — $800,000
- $800,000 for a 3 bed/3 bath detached home in Chevy Chase DC is well below the market average
- Originally listed in March 2016 for $925,000, and reduced as low as $710,000 in June 2017 but is back up to $800,000 — it’s possible that the seller would consider a lower price once again
- Listing remarks specify that the home is subject to an existing lease, but the photos show a vacant home (added 8/2/17)
2619 University Place NW — Columbia Heights — $899,900
- Over 3,000 square feet including a finished basement and only 4 blocks to metro
- Insider tip — the home has a few additional rooms that are not legal bedrooms, but is much larger than the 3 bed/3 bath size suggests
- Originally listed in August 2016 for $950,000 and reduced to $899,900 in February 2017
- Outdoor space is limited but this would make a great investment property — no yard maintenance for tenants to keep up with! Prospects for adding an upper level deck are good
350 G St SW #N104 — Southwest/Waterfront — $479,000
- Originally listed in August 2016, this 1 bed/1 bath 892 sq ft condo has held a consistent list price of $479,000 for the last 428 days
- Located in the Potomac Place condominium community, this unit is in one of the newer buildings that was built in 2004 and the condo fee of $422.42 includes great building amenities (outdoor pool, multiple fitness rooms, business center, concierge)
- A few short blocks from The Wharf and all of the amazing things planned for this development
438 19th St NE — Kingman Park — $560,000
- End unit rowhome with 3 bedrooms, 1.5 bathrooms and off street parking
- Originally listed for $649,999 with several price reductions in 2016 down to $530,000
- Listing remarks specify “appraised $530k” — all signs indicate that the seller would likely consider an offer of $530,000 or less
- No basement but there may be options for expansion on the corner lot (or a great outdoor set up)
1230 23rd St NW #918 — West End — $448,000
- 1 bedroom in Foggy Bottom with garage parking and balcony
- Condo fees are $839/month, full service building amenities include concierge, indoor pool and exercise room
- Originally listed for $475,000 in February 2016, with several price reductions in 2016
- Built in 1989 the unit features a modern open floor plan, hardwood floors and a fireplace
2252 Mount View Place SE — Anacostia — $359,000
- This 4 bedroom, 2.5 bathroom home last sold for $180,200 in May 2014, and was re-listed a year later for $178,800 more
- Located on a prime block in Anacostia, a few short blocks from metro and adjacent to the historic district and the MLK thoroughfare
- This neighborhood has seen a 13% appreciation rate in the last year (based on average sales prices) and are expected to continue to rise
Interested in learning more about negotiating a great deal? Check out our 9 Essential Negotiation Tips for Buyers post here.
From Metro Transit Police: “At approximately 11:45 a.m., MTPD and MPD responded to a shooting aboard a Green Line train at Navy Yard Station. Unfortunately, despite lifesaving measures, the adult…
Thanks to P. for sending from Adams Morgan. Please send your JUNE tree sightings to [email protected]
Photo by Eric P. From MPD: “On Saturday, May 27, 2023, the United House of Prayer March will take place in the District of Columbia. In conjunction with this event,…
Thanks to Zoe for sending this awesomeness:
We are excited to announce the latest exciting new brand, Nary Resort, to join the growing list of local and global ethical brands at Slow Down Market. Come and discover this wonderful Brooklyn based resort collection, founded by three sisters making sustainable summer wear in a small sewing collective in Cambodia, using beautiful, deadstock linen. We are a functional multi-retail boutique and multi-disciplinary events space embracing slow and sustainable fashion, artisanal craftswo/manship, and showcasing independent designers. Launched in October 2022 in the north end of Dupont Circle, we are more than just a shopping destination. From art shows to wine tastings, the space hosts a variety of creative collaborations and community events featuring local artists, makers and musicians. Join us for Dupont First Friday Art and refreshments on Friday, June 2, from 5-8p.m. as we celebrate the paintings of local artist Martina Sestakova.
Our airy space features brands and designers that espouse slow fashion principles. Visitors can shop designer apparel, vintage clothing, women’s footwear, homeware, luxury accessories including jewelry and handmade women’s handbags, and gifts, from local sustainable and ethical brands as well as small, international designers curated just for the market.
Are you seeking a confidential space where you can explore your emotions, overcome challenges, and find inner peace? Look no further than our dedicated psychotherapy service! We understand that life can be overwhelming at times, and we’re here to support you every step of the way.
At Peaceful Mind Solutions, our passion lies in helping individuals like you navigate life’s complexities and find the strength to thrive. Our skilled and compassionate therapist is committed to creating a warm, non-judgmental environment where you can express your thoughts and feelings openly. With our personalized approach, we tailor each session to address your unique needs and empower you to overcome obstacles.
Through evidence-based techniques and a deep understanding of the human mind, our therapist will guide you on a transformative journey of self-discovery. Whether you’re dealing with anxiety, depression, relationship issues, or simply seeking personal growth, we’re here to provide guidance and practical tools for lasting change.
The Emma’s Torch Brunch Club, Summer 2023
Ready to experience the magic?
Enjoy a prix-fixe menu, family style. And the food? It’s oh-so-good while doing good.
The mouth-watering dishes will be made by our 3rd cohort of DC-area students, who will showcase their culinary skills and gain
Neighbor to Neighbor Day
Learn, serve, and celebrate! Join A Wider Circle for Neighbor to Neighbor Day: a day of learning opportunities (including a panel discussion featuring WAMU’s Michael King and Morgan Baskin), special volunteer projects, plus carnival games, arts and crafts, delicious food