If you’ve ever wondered “What will be the next hot neighborhood?” Or “Which neighborhood will see the next above-average appreciation?” or even “Where can I move to in order to escape crowds/traffic/$8 coffee/(insert annoyance of downtown life)?” You’re not alone!
In this series I’ll highlight lesser known DC neighborhoods that are gaining in popularity and have unique attributes that make them a great place to call home. Yes, many of these neighborhoods are “east of the river,” but don’t worry, you won’t be needing a boat! These neighborhoods are Metro and bridge accessible. Today, I’m focusing on River Terrace.
Location: Northeast DC, Benning Rd to the north, Anacostia River to the west, East Capitol to the South and 295 to the east.
Why it’s great:
- Waterside living without the typical price tag
- Anacostia Riverwalk Trail: Biker’s paradise + So much green space
- 4 mile (off road) bike ride to Nats Park
- 3 miles to Eastern Market
- Neighborliness, strong community vibes: Check out the River Terrace Community Organization
- Kingman Island
What’s in the future:
- RFK Stadium development: with plans for new pedestrian bridges, whatever ends up being built will be easily accessible
- (possible) streetcar extension: The Benning Rd extension would connect River Terrace to the existing H Street/Benning streetcar line and Benning Rd Metro
Ready to move to River Terrace? Here are a few available options:
For more on the River Terrace neighborhood, check out our full neighborhood profile at here!
Map via Google Maps