Holy smokes I guess the marketing strategy worked…
From a press release:
“Today, Mayor Muriel Bowser, At-Large Councilmember Vincent Orange, and Ward 2 Councilmember Jack Evans joined Events DC – the convention and sports authority for the District – to announce six new retail and restaurant tenants that will soon occupy spaces that have been vacant for years at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center. These businesses will bring highly anticipated economic activity and jobs to Washington, DC, and more community services to the Shaw Corridor.
By filling 100% of the available space at the Convention Center’s street-facing retail establishments, Events DC is demonstrating its dedication to the Shaw community, while contributing to the continued economic vitality of the District. Collectively, the leases with these businesses represent a 10-year revenue of $7 million.
Future tenants coming to the Walter E. Washington Convention Center, include the following establishments:
· Unconventional Diner, a locally owned and operated high-end diner concept and brainchild of two DC residents/business owners.
· Union Kitchen Grocery, a locally inspired corner market that will be expanding the brand’s footprint to the Shaw neighborhood. Union Kitchen Grocery has an existing location in the Capitol Hill neighborhood.
· Smoked & Stacked, a fast-casual sandwich shop that will showcase in-house brined and smoked pastrami.
· Morris, a craft cocktail bar, featuring notable DC-based chef and restauranteur, Spike Mendelsohn. This cocktail bar will be an expansion from their Sheppard concept which had its original location in Dupont Circle.
· Urban Athletic Club and Composition ID, a motivating and inspiring fitness marketplace and health diagnostic center. Urban Athletic Club has previously existing locations in both Georgetown and Glover Park.
· A Barbershop Concept that will relocate their pre-existing location in the Shaw neighborhood.”