Photo by PoPville flickr user Mr. T in DC
From a press release:
“WHAT: 2nd Annual DC Homebrewers BBQ
WHEN: Saturday, August 24th – 2:00 to 6:00 PM
WHERE: Kastles Stadium – 800 Water St. SW DC (nearest metro stops: L’Enfant and Waterfront stations. Bike and car parking will also be available.)
PRICE: $15 per person – kids 10 and under are FREE
On August 24th, 2013, the DC Homebrewers (DCHB) will be hosting their 2nd Annual BBQ, sponsored by Sam Adams, at Kastles Stadium along the southwest waterfront in Washington, DC. The annual BBQ serves as a chance for the all-volunteer club to showcase and educate their members and the public on alternative brewing styles, sensory panels, and current industry standards to help new and advanced homebrewers take their brewing to the next level.
This year, all proceeds from the BBQ will benefit the Common Good City Farm, an urban farm and education center located on a half-acre lot in LeDroit Park. Their mission is to grow food, educate, and help low-income DC community members meet their food needs and provide educational opportunities for all.
Ticket price includes admission, a plate of BBQ (vegetarian option will be available), two sides, a hand-crafted soda, Sam Adams beer and an additional beer ticket for one of several craft beers that will be on tap during the event. Additional beer tickets will be available for $5. Buy tickets in advance here.
During the afternoon, members of the DCHB will be offering demonstrations and educational presentations, including
· Extract Brewing with John Lutz 3:00 – 5:00 PM
· All Grain Brewing with Jim Koebel 2:00 – 6:00 PM
· Brew-In-A-Bag with Peter Jones 2:00 – 6:00 PM
· 2:45 – Nanomashing: Tasting Caramel Malts – Bob Rouse, DC Homebrews Club President
· 3:15 – Homebrew Outreach and Participation Sisterhood (HOPS)
· 3:45 – Yeasts Gone Wild – Jasper Akerboom, Lost Rhino Brewing Company
· 4:15 – Brewing Historical Beers – Peter Jones, Historian
· 4:45 – Beer Judging Tips and Tricks – Jim Koebel, BJCP National Judge
· 5:15 – Hops 101 – Andrei Henry, NHC Presenter
There will also be fun activities for the entire family, including cornhole, pin the tail on the donkey, and entertainment from the Washington Nationals.”