“DC-inspired recipes” are written by Laura from Lauralicious In DC.
After hearing debate about proposed DC soda taxes, I thought, why not try making home-made soda?
An easy way to make a homemade soda is to buy flavored syrup and just add it to seltzer water. As in, peach syrup+seltzer=totally refreshing.
You can also go one step further and make your own flavor base by using fruit and/or herbs and simple syrup. For example, here’s my recipe for Mango-Lime Soda.
Mango Lime Soda
-Fresh or frozen mango
-Simple syrup, such as Lime simple syrup (also useful for mojitos and margaritas!)
-Blender or food processor
1. Cut a mango into chunks, or defrost frozen mango in the microwave.
2. Puree it as fine as you can using a food processor or blender.
3. Add spoonfuls of the mango puree and simple syrup in a 1:1 ratio to the bottom of a glass, depending on how tall your glass is (2-3 small spoonfuls worked for me).
4. Squeeze a lime slice into it.
5. Top off with seltzer water.
6. Garnish with lime.
Any kind of fruit that can be blended easily can be used. You could also personalize it with herbs like basil or mint, or other ingredients like agave nectar or balsamic vinegar.
Any of you have any other favorite recipes for homemade fizzy drinks?