Mon. Afternoon Rental Option

by Prince Of Petworth April 12, 2010 at 3:00 pm 12 Comments

This rental is located at 9th and Q Streets, NW:
View Larger Map

The Craigslist ad says:

“Large and spacious row house on 3 levels. This house is perfect for entertaining!!! Hard wood floors throughout 2 lower levels and new carpeting on bedroom floors. Renovated with a state of the art kitchen and breakfast room. Perfect for hosting with a Viking range/hood, granite & cabinets galore.

Open living/dining area on main level w/ hardwoods. Master bedroom consists of 2 bedrooms converted to make one very large single bedroom.Beautiful bedrooms with many windows. High ceilings, cent A/C, NEW bath. Washer and dryer.”

More photos here.

We actually looked at this house when it was for sale as a GDoN for $549k. Does $3250 sound reasonable for this 2 bed/2 bath as a rental?

  • former Georgetowner

    Hmmm my friends have a rental in the same neighborhood, but two blocks closer to Logan Circle, and they pay $2700/month. Theirs is a 3 bedroom and nicer. So I think this is priced around $500 too high.

  • my next door neighbor rents his 4 bedroom house for about $3,200 a few blocks east of this place.

    I’m not sure many renters are going to pay a premium for high end appliances at 9th & Q. House looks nice, but $3,250 seems like wishful thinking.

  • LJ

    I agree with the first two comments. If you only need 2 bedrooms, you can easily stay under $3k in this or most neighborhoods in DC. And exactly, renters don’t tend to pay extra for high-end appliances.

  • Mark

    If you had the 20% downpayment, you could probably finance the other 80% of the $550K asking price for monthly payments at or below $3250. But why anyone would rent for that price is beyond me.

  • heisenburg

    so what happened here? Nobody bought the place and they’re trying to rent it for too much now.

  • hmm

    hmm, interesting, dc doesn’t list a sale, tax registry has the place listed as a 2br and currently receiving homestead deduction.

  • Anonymous

    Way too high. Based on the location, and people I know who rent in this area, I’d say $600-650 too high.

  • KStreetQB

    Dang… I gotta start renting my place out. I have a 4 bedroom 3.5 bath just a block away (a nicer block away, that house opens right up to a busy street) and I could cover my mortgage payments +1k for that much rent.


    Too high. $2500.

  • TruxRes

    I’m guessing if you did an rental analysis based on price/sq ft, this may come up as a deal.

    This house may not rent by the end of the week, but if the owner can hold out a month or two, s/he’ll get that price.

  • The Rickster

    It might be reasonable if it came with two secure parking spaces, but otherwise, no way.

  • Columbia Heights Boy

    Not sure the people who are willing to pay that much to rent a two bedroom house really want to live at 9th and Q though? One would think they could find a house in Cap Hill or Gtown or Dupont for that easily enough.

    Also my captcha says “but wideness”, you callin me fat?!


Subscribe to our mailing list